2016-2017 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 28, 2016.

1. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    I'm just curious as to why your displeasure with Knox? Just wondering. I've never killed anything thing there but I enjoy it. Just wondering if you had a bad experience or just don't like it anymore? I've heard a few who don't like it and I know it's harder to get on base and all. Just wondering why so many are not happy about it. Not being hateful or rude. Just curious.

2. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    I'll be driving 4+ hours (from Redstone Arsenal) to Fort Knox for the next 20+ years if the good Lord allows me that long on this Earth. There are good bucks on Knox, and while it is a challenging place to hunt, it is a place that can produce for hunters.

3. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky
    No doubt Knox has good bucks but u better know ur area and the area guide really good before u go. If u dont know ur area real well then its a waste of time and if u dont know the guides real well then u will be directed to a area to push deer to the guides guest hunters they have that day. Im sure its not what happens in every area but i know a area guide and it happens alot he says. Knox is not like it used to be yrs ago with deer population. Everybody has a opinion and its just not worthy to drive 2hrs for me.

4. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    I've heard those stories before myself. There will be 3 of us so we are all going to go in without any suggestions from party leaders. I've got a few leads so hope they work out. I hope we harvest some deer but just want to enjoy it. Thanks for the response and for being helpful

5. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Does anyone know how long it takes for your gun registration to be completed. We mailed ours out last Saturday morning after we couldn't get it finished last Friday. They should have received them Monday and had Tuesday/Wednesday to complete them. I have called up there, but no one has answered.

6. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Hunted 15 this past weekend. the wind was brutal Saturday for this hillbilly but I managed to knock down a decent 7pt about 2:30. Missed (cough) a dandy about an hour b4 that. Seems the wind didn't effect em much, one was chasing hard the other following close. l'll have a slug gun b4 next year as I about ripped the bolt off my smoke pole trying to get off another shot haha.

7. mhounshell

mhounshell 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    KY
    Looks like the weather is going to be better a Knox this weekend, unlike last.

I'll be hunting area 76. What areas are everyone hunting this weekend. Good luck to all and be safe.

8. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    So what happened to the person who killed the spike? Do they confiscate the deer?

9. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Being a regular civilian and having to drive 2.5 hours to hunt Knox, I still put in every year. Yes, I have experienced guides who use you as dogs to push deer to them and their guests (the guy hunting area 95/96 will experience this if he listens to his guide.) But let me say for the most part, the guides will work their butts off to help any and every hunter they get. I had a great experience during the youth hunt this year in area 112 - as embarrassing as it is to admit it, once my youth hunter killed his deer, I somehow got turned around and was "lost" for about an hour. Finally, I gave in and called the guide, who came in on his quad and bailed me out. He was extremely cordial and I can't thank him enough. I've had other guides provide lunch for hunters, as well as give up their best hunting spot, which actually produced a deer for someone in my group. I've hunted Knox since 1989, and am currently 45 years old. The only buck I've ever seen there that I wanted to shoot was back in 1993 in the Yano Tank Range (as a civilian I now know how lucky I was to have hunted that area.) But I still get excited every year when I'm about to open my packet on Nov. 3rd or 4th to see what area I've drawn. Even though I can hunt our farm and know I will see 10 deer minimum, I still enjoy the Knox hunt. Maybe others understand what I mean, idk. But I'm way past bad mouthing a place that offers me a hunting spot to kill and extra buck and doe. I will be in area 85 tomorrow, hoping to fill my tags. Good luck to all.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  10. 74CD

74CD Fawn

Sep 2, 2006
    Great post!

11. Tylerskala

Tylerskala Fawn

Dec 4, 2015
    Me and my wife both have Area 97 last weekend and this coming weekend. Her Father my Father-In-Law is the Party Leader for area 97. We had two Nice large deer taken and that was it. Hopeing the weather is in our favor tomorrow and the deer are up and moving. Seems that the high ground has the deer this year as that is where all of ours had been seen and killed. Good Luck to everyone this weekend!

12. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Hey guys got some buddy's drawed area 55 this weekend anyone ever hunted this area any info would be appreciated thanks.

13. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky
    Chimpy i wasnt bad mouthing anything. I said there is still good deer there but everyone has the right to express thier opinion. I said IF u still have a state tag ur better of hunting ur land if ur in a zone 1 or 2 this weekend. Deer poulations on knox are not what the used to be nor is the turnout applying. The last time i hunted there was only 12 in my area and shouldve been 30. Good luck to all

M

14. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    Area 10 today. I have not talked with anyone that has seen a deer...

15. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Hunted area 8 today seen four deer two bucks and two does both bucks were chaseing the two does one was a four point and a eight I killed the eight nothing big but very happy bonus buck.my wife hunted to she never seen a deer.