2016-2017 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

buckmaster56

6 pointer
Oct 12, 2008
Got drawn for area 82 December 10-11. Never been to Ft Knox at all. Anyone know anything about the area? PM me if you have any info you don't want to share here. Just trying to find out what to expect

Scoony

6 pointer
Nov 7, 2003
Radcliff
My opinion only...........I'd stay home. 100% big timber, and vertical. Low deer population.

Area 39, I would go hunt. I have always seen deer in the woods across from Mount Eden Base Camp. It is steep, and that limits hunting space to ridges and valleys. Hard to hunt the in-between (slopes) in that area. I would probably pick one of the many valleys or draws and hunt that.

Scoony

6 pointer
Nov 7, 2003
Radcliff
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the number of hunters per area for the quota hunt is higher then what they allow in them during the extended gun hunt. For those of you that are worried that your area was gun hunted to death, I personally would not be worried much. Does it decrease your chances of seeing deer? Maybe, but I am not convinced. Does it mean that there are not longer deer in that area? I highly doubt that.

Last year, I hunted 34 for the quota hunt. It was open for the extended gun season quite a bit. I even went out there during the extended season to hunt and scout. Only saw one small spike before the quota hunt. Shot a nice buck during the quota hunt.

Regardless of how much it was hunted, you will not have a chance at a Knox deer if you don't go.

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
Anybody got anything on area 39? Never been in there before.

I hunted 33 last year which is somewhat near area 39 which is at the Mt Eden gate...it looks to be a rough, difficult area to hunt...however, if you can find where a couple of those ridge lines come together, you may have a decent travel corridor...on a calm day you need to be on the ridges under white oaks if you can find any...on a breezy / windy day head for the valley...

Just make sure you are prepared to drag one up a challenging slope...

Deernut33

Fawn
Jul 30, 2016
Area 77 Nov.19,20 does anyone know if it's worth a 10 hour drive to hunt. I don't live close enough to know anything about what areas are open and so on. If it's worth a hoot I will roll on up if not I'll hunt around the house.

hammerdown

6 pointer
Oct 29, 2009
nancy ky
Got drawn for area 82 December 10-11. Never been to Ft Knox at all. Anyone know anything about the area? PM me if you have any info you don't want to share here. Just trying to find out what to expect
I'll give you some info about 82 after I hunt it I got 82 Nov 19th and 20th

Latest posts