2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 29, 2015.

1. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    They rotate what areas are open for gun and bow, be patient and one of your areas will open for him during the tier 1-2 gun season. Find some oaks that are dropping and you'll kill a deer. Mast crop is poor this year

2. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Yeah, I've had a hard time finding acorns. I applied for the quota hunt too, so hopefully I'll get something.

3. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    heading to area 52 in the morning anyone been seeing any good deer in the area?

4. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Hunted 52 three straight days last week with hardly any action. I would recommend finding a different area.

5. kentuckyoutdoorsman

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    What part of the area was you hunting ?

6. kentuckyoutdoorsman

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    I think I'm going to walk to the top and hunt around the fields in the morning

7. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    I hunted in 92 this afternoon - didn't see a thing other than a raccoon. Going to give it another try in the morning.

8. alwaysinrut

alwaysinrut 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2010
    Does anybody have the link to the weapons registration form for some reason it won't load on my computer. Thanks.

9. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    I went to area 91 early this morning. When I was unloading my gear two guys pulled up, asked where I was going, etc. said they would find another spot. They start to drive off and I head into woods. Sat til 1100 and saw nothing. I get back to truck at 12pm and see they only went 300 yards up from me and I'm sure went straight into woods behind their trucks. Right where I expected deer to come from. Totally cut me off. Having hunted a lot of military installations, I know this sort of thing happens quite often. Still, it just irks the crap out of me for guys to do stuff like this. I guess their attitude is just "Damn them, this is where we wanted to hunt and who cares if they got here first" or something similar.

10. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    91 is not a large area to begin with. I have no problems when someone is hunting 300 yards from me. They have every right to hunt there. I try to use that to my advantage and try to figure out how other hunters will push deer towards me.

11. mountain hunter

mountain hunter Spike

Jan 17, 2010
    Bell County Ky
    Is there any pre-rut action starting up in the hunting areas there? I figured after this cold snap it should get some of the bucks on their feet and thinking about the does. I am drawn for Halloween weekend and looking forward to hopefully plenty of action.

12. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    Scoony, I agree that they had every right to be there. What sucks is they knew they'd be cutting me off by going where they did. Also, when you get drawn for 91 you also get 92 as well so it's not like they didn't have PLENTY of area to choose from. Going where they did guaranteed that I wasn't going to see a thing. That's what sucks.

Mountain hunter, I didn't see anything bucks at all to be able to answer your question. That said, I would expect that as the end of October approaches the chasing "should"get going. Best of luck to you on Knox!

13. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Just gonna throw this out there. Buddy of mine hunted 52/52A last weekend, said there were 3 people on 4 wheelers at the top of 52. None looked old enough or disabled enough to be on 4 wheelers. I am Not saying they werent legal, just curious if there are people just bringing them on post and riding them, without the proper disability paperwork ? Thoughts ?

14. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    First, if they're just bringing them on post and using them than the Game Warden needs to be out there on the weekends checking. second, As for the age or not looking like the are disabled, thats kind of hard to gauge since for the last 14 years we have been sending our Young Warriors overseas into harms way who have come home pretty banged up. Me Myself, (and I only speak for myself) may not look like I have a disability, but I developed a breathing issue and lung problems steming from that hell hole overseas, and there is no way I would be able to hike up that moutain to get to the top of 52/52a, i try and not usae the ATV as much as i can, but somtimes i have too. So my adive would be not to judge a book by its cover alone.