2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 29, 2015.

1. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    My deer sightings at Knox are down from years past but I think a lot of it has to do with less people pounding the brush midday. We could always count on people in and out of the woods while we stay put. I've seen more people hang in all day lately. Jmo.

2. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    I agree, hunter numbers have changed for sure, a lot has to do with the smaller number of people stationed at Knox and the ability to fill a gun tag before quota starts.

3. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I hate to be the one to brag or maybe I'm just lucky. I have only got to hunt knox six times this year but I have seen at least three deer per set and twice I have seen over ten.

4. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    I saw 5 this past Thursday, 0 on Friday, I don't know how many on Saturday..numerous, and too many to count on Sunday. Killed a doe but saw the biggest 8 point I have ever seen in the field. It was an absolute stud. I never have a problem seeing deer on Knox except for the quota hunt.

5. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
  6. dakota

dakota Fawn

Nov 30, 2008
    Rineyville Kentucky
    I have hunted Fort Knox for 42 years. I was a deer huntparty leader for 26 years (!976 - 2002). From the late 70's to early 90's we had 117areas to hunt. In 1990, 63 of theseareas were shut down due to live rounds or unexploded ordinance the DOD shut these areas down because of liability . Just recentlysome areas have reopened. In the last two weeks I have seen a lot of deer. Ihave gone back to the area I hunted to check it out. We had a very low kill. Inthe two hours I was on that range I saw over 20 deer. Several bucks and somewith one horn now. I work on one of the ranges that cannot be hunted. DrivingBaker Road to work I see 10-12 deer in the morning and at night. Areas 14, 15,17, 115, 117 Pells Range, Woods Range, Longstreet. What I have noticed thisyear was the lack of food, no acorn crop. Where ever there was a burn grassfire and the grass grew back deer were grassing. I have seen more big bucks thelast two weeks than the whole season. The deer are here just back deep in thewoods or impacts. We have had heavy troop training this year due to ROTC. Alsothere has been a change with the ammo. The distance change, they are now longerand this shuts more areas down. With the heavy training and heavy hunting have pressuredthese deer . This my observation.