2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 29, 2015.

1. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
  2. Jde

Jde 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2013
    Yea that is my opinion I have hunt a lot out there and have seen less deer last several years. Show that 2011,212,2013, and 2014 there was more deer killed than 2010. I may be wrong but that seems about time they started early gun season. With that many deer being killed out there and coyote problem like everyone saying the deer population is probably down. You have state that mast crop has something to do with it, I always have better luck when there is no mast crop because deer have to move to find food. Then you said something about moon phase this year that makes no since, think the moon has them messed up all season?? Pyseeker seems like you get real defensive when someone says something negitive towards hunt control I'm guessing your buddies with someone there and you like everything they say or do. All I am saying is there is a lot of people complaining about not seeing deer. Think hunt control needs to think about a new plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. toypar

toypar Fawn

Nov 10, 2010
    When I posted earlier I never said anything about deer numbers. I said the number of hunter was down because they didn't have any of the other area open around us. But look like to me the number of hunter is down because people are not seeing as many deer.
    I think the military hunter deserves to hunt at any thing during the season but not 3 month. Nobody in the state get to gun hunt 3 months. Let them hunt anytime but limit them to 21 days
    On our hunt they but us in a area that was a good area. But no one was hunting around us. No one moving the deer. So was we giving the same opportunity as everybody else. Or was we just unlucky and are name came up last and they but us in a area.

4. Soldier

Soldier Fawn

Oct 20, 2015
    Soldiers don't hunt for 3 months. We still have to go to work everyday. I had the option to hunt but I didn't start until the end of Oct then I only hunted with my bow. You make it seem like the army marches platoons out to the hunting areas and shoot all of the deer. When I drive out to the hunting areas I rarely see anybody else out there. Few cars along the road and I never see anybody else in the woods. There were 30 hunters signed up for the quoto hunt in my area and 16 showed the first day, nine showed up on the 2nd day. Eight and nine showed up the following weekend. I hear more vehicles driving up and down the road then I see people in the woods. I think the civilians are frustrated because they can't lay their corn pile out and shoot their deer. Now they have to get out and hunt. When they do they don't go far, quit early, then complain on a hunting forum. I'm with PY, don't come back if you don't like the rules. That numbers say 800ish are killed every year. I don't see the decline in deer, I see the decline in hunters.

5. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    That's a shame that there are those who get so offended by some of us having concerns about the place we all love to come and hunt , think God for you soldiers I do think the deer numbers are down I am a civilian I put corn down at home I hunt hard I am not a lazy hunter. But I think there is nothing wrong with discussing concerns on here about Fort Knox but there are the ones who like to bash people.

6. toypar

toypar Fawn

Nov 10, 2010
    I have to work also. And live in a zone 4 area. So I have 2 days early muzzleloader season,4 days modern gun and 4 late muzzleloader. And no doe season but the last 2 days of late muzzleloader. That 10 days because I have to work also. And when I go to hunt Knox I hunt. Some may not be I'm not one of them. I also don't drive up and down the road. Also about two or three years ago somebody post pic of some one up there putting corn out not civilians. Went up there the Sunday before the hunt and scouted walked 6 1/2 mile in my area. Hunted all day on the hunt.

7. Soldier

Soldier Fawn

Oct 20, 2015
    yep, thats about how many days I get too. just because early gun is open doesnt mean the whole post is hunting.

8. Soldier

Soldier Fawn

Oct 20, 2015
    Im not getting offended. I just wonder why its an Army base and some people get mad when the Soldiers get to hunt it.

Im concerned over the lack of hunters, the rise in coyotes. I dont know what I can do about it but I do know coming on here and complaining that hunt control doesnt know what theyre doing is not the answer. In the Army we are taught to have a solution to the problem. If nobody has a solution then your just complaining to get everyone fired up. Im not saying this is you but it is some on here.

9. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    I am not complaining about hunt control or soldiers gun hunting there,I am glad they get to hunt the way they do.i had some buddy's hunted three different areas this year between the 15 of them they was only one doe seen.i just don't want the deer herd there be gone so the soldiers can have a place to hunt. And we can have a place to have a oppertunity at a bonus buck.god bless our soldiers and merry Christmas to all of you warriors .

10. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    JDE

I am giving you stats that is all, even after stats are given you still say that deer numbers are down. The harvest has been consistent the last 5 years, that doesn't jive with what you are claiming. I'm not getting defensive I'm pointing out facts my friend. But with that being said I will respond to all your comments in the above post.

First you are saying that more deer were killed after the 2010 season. You are correct, the extended gun hunt started in 2011 I believe, but you failed to mention that there was nearly an identical increase in archery harvest from 2010 to 2011, should we limit archery hunting now too? Does that mean there are less deer because a few more deer were harvested? How many hunters where there those years? We are talking about a 150 deer increase being killed from 2010 to 2011 on over 100,000 acres, that doesn't do much to hurt the population. There are variables at play for each season. If you are only looking at it from a stand point that you personally saw less deer then that's not very scientific now is it? Of course with more days of gun hunting there will be an uptick in overall harvest but have you asked HC, was that their intention? Have you ever thought that based on the semiannual camera surveys that Fort Knox does they came to the conclusion that more deer can safely be harvested? Have you ever made an effort to talk to the Biologist to see what the herd goals are for Knox? I can tell you that the herd is closely monitored and when surveys show that numbers are down I'm confident that a new harvest strategy will unfold.

You say that with a lower mast crop deer should be moving around more looking for food. Well then riddle me this. How come this year the area with the highest harvest rate was the one area that actually had mast crop? That debunks the theory that all the other areas with no mast crop should have had a higher harvest rate.

You asked about the moon phase. The full moon this year fell on Oct 27, historically the best times to hunt the rut moon are 7 days prior and seven days after. Because the moon coincided with the unseasonably warm weather, it had much of the deer activity taking place at night. As for your comment that it doesn't affect deer all season, you are correct, but the bulk of Fort Knox deer harvest starts around the end of October through the third week of November. If these variables come into play during this peak time it will affect harvest numbers. The amount of hunters hunting Knox increases as the rut comes in so add increased hunter pressure, with warm weather, low mast crop, and an early moon and it seems to have proven my theory that in fact they hampered hunters abilities to harvest more deer. Not to mention may areas where used for training which changes the deer patterns, pushing many deer into impact areas. Last year's rut moon fell on Nov 6 that combined with cooler temps created the perfect storm for deer activity. Last year's rut was one of the best I can remember on Knox, many hunters where tagged out by the first week of November. Deer sightings were through the roof and that was with a huge mast crop.

You stated I get defensive about people bashing hunt control and their efforts. Absolutely. Unless you actually know what they are up against when trying to both manage a forest and wildlife that consists of over 100,000 acres with a skeleton crew, slashed budgeting, political pressure from Garrison HQ, hunter satisfaction, and force protection measures. It seems to me that many like to complain about the perceived decline in deer numbers and hunter satisfaction but are to close minded to look at the whole picture. At the end of the day it's a military installation. Training comes first.
    Finally for those that think Soldiers are ruining the hunting by hunting more with a gun, the argument doesn't even make sense. If I choose to go out and hunt earlier than the Quota hunt with my gun and kill out, guess what, it just means I can't hunt the quota weekend. No additional deer are really being killed, Sure maybe a few extra deer are killed because the opportunity to hunt is longer but the harvest stats are proving that it really hasn't changed the overall harvest enough to be a detriment to the herd.
    My point is this, hunter success hinges on many factors, trying to pin it to one factor is nearly impossible. Before saying that Knox needs to rethink their management strategy think about all the red tape they are up against and be happy that the hunting is still some of the best you will come across when it comes to a WMA. If you read my whole post I applaud you. Carry on

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I agree PYSEEKER. I have been hunting knox since 96 and have had success just about every year. 95% of my hunting is done on public land and I have learned how to hunt differently and adjust. I have had a few leases stolen from me by the richer folks in the past and I can say it was a little tough at first. I love hunting Knox and will continue have luck there I hope. Most of the hunters don't show or come out of the woods by 10 anyways. We are now in area 115 and the third weekend we had one hunter on Saturday and zero Sunday.

12. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    Deerturkey, Glad you like Knox so much, its to bad more hunters dont show but I can see why with all this warm weather we've been having. Thats another reason harvest is down this year, the number of no shows this year has been exceptionally high.

13. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    I am tier 4 myself and only been hunting knox for a few years. I have never harvested any deer there but enjoy the word HUNTING! I've hunted some really great areas and get a lot of insight from a friend who has harvested alot of monster deer on knox. Here is my opinion and a opinion is what it is. If knox has went down hill some much and people want to complain about what's wrong there I suggest you stop hunting Knox. It may be those who ruin it for the ones who are grateful to hunt there. Bottom line don't like it don't hunt it. I'm ready for the bashing lol.

14. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Extended shotgun seasons were 32 days total, not three months. A LOT of areas were only open for bow during that time too.

15. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I think a lot of the concern would be alleviated if the extended tier 1 and 2 seasons were after the quota hunt.