2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Uscnoklahoma

6 pointer
Nov 12, 2013
SC
I said what area earlier in the thread so its not easy to figure out. That being said I am not sure who let who in early. I am not sure if the gate did it or the guide did it. All I know is it would have been physically impossible for them to have beat us in there considering its one way in. For all I know they could have told the gate they were guides or assistants or something and got waved on in. I know I saw a lot of trucks being waved on in.

But saying I am what's wrong with the hunting on Knox is about like blaming the guy who follows the rules for the rule breakers. Its a deer hunt. I enjoy my time there in the woods. If I felt as if it was that big of a deal I would say something to hunt control. I did ask the guys back there how they got in so early and they said they were in line just like us...well I knew that was a lie as it would have been impossible for them to have got in without us seeing them.

As for the guides, I think they did a good job other than that if it was indeed their fault. We got along great and sometimes upsetting the apple cart just isn't worth the upheaval it causes. Now if the guys in there early were back there spotlighting then that would have been a different story as I would have reported it.

Oh and as far as what is wrong with Knox....its too many gun days. Its that simple. Its about like here in SC...gun starts in August and runs to January.

Soldier

Fawn
Oct 20, 2015
I said what area earlier in the thread so its not easy to figure out. That being said I am not sure who let who in early. I am not sure if the gate did it or the guide did it. All I know is it would have been physically impossible for them to have beat us in there considering its one way in. For all I know they could have told the gate they were guides or assistants or something and got waved on in. I know I saw a lot of trucks being waved on in.

But saying I am what's wrong with the hunting on Knox is about like blaming the guy who follows the rules for the rule breakers. Its a deer hunt. I enjoy my time there in the woods. If I felt as if it was that big of a deal I would say something to hunt control. I did ask the guys back there how they got in so early and they said they were in line just like us...well I knew that was a lie as it would have been impossible for them to have got in without us seeing them.

As for the guides, I think they did a good job other than that if it was indeed their fault. We got along great and sometimes upsetting the apple cart just isn't worth the upheaval it causes. Now if the guys in there early were back there spotlighting then that would have been a different story as I would have reported it.

Oh and as far as what is wrong with Knox....its too many gun days. Its that simple. Its about like here in SC...gun starts in August and runs to January.

There is only one reason hunters want to come to Knox. Everyone wants an opportunity to harvest that big buck. Some areas are extremely competitive. Cedar creek is one of those areas. Now within that area there is a particular spot everyone wants to go to. You got there early, waited in line, was the first one there only to find out that four people were already in ahead of you. There is no way in except thru the party leader. He checked them in and let them in before 530. That's as wrong as wrong could be.

Ft Knox extended gun is for the Soldiers and military retirees. Why is that wrong? Most of us don't have any other place to hunt. It's Ft Knox or state public grounds. I'm just curious how many that hunt Knox own farms and don't let Soldiers hunt with them. They shoot big bucks and then come on Knox and want more. I'm not saying this is everyone, I'm just saying the majority of Soldiers don't any other place. I bet a lot of party leaders have property and don't invite Soldiers to hunt with them. They will invite their relatives or friends to hunt "their" areas on Knox and then bend the rules to ensure they get that special honey hole. Again, only a few do this but a few is too many and they need to seek their volunteer status elsewhere. They need to stop being selfish and greedy.

Last edited:

64guns

Fawn
Aug 24, 2014
Going out to area 46 tomorrow. Can anyone give any insight for that area? I've done some scouting via google earth, but I have never had boots on the ground up there; never hunted on the north side. My south side spots are closed for training.

Uscnoklahoma

6 pointer
Nov 12, 2013
SC
There is only one reason hunters want to come to Knox. Everyone wants an opportunity to harvest that big buck. Some areas are extremely competitive. Cedar creek is one of those areas. Now within that area there is a particular spot everyone wants to go to. You got there early, waited in line, was the first one there only to find out that four people were already in ahead of you. There is no way in except thru the party leader. He checked them in and let them in before 530. That's as wrong as wrong could be.

Ft Knox extended gun is for the Soldiers and military retirees. Why is that wrong? Most of us don't have any other place to hunt. It's Ft Knox or state public grounds. I'm just curious how many that hunt Knox own farms and don't let Soldiers hunt with them. They shoot big bucks and then come on Knox and want more. I'm not saying this is everyone, I'm just saying the majority of Soldiers don't any other place. I bet a lot of party leaders have property and don't invite Soldiers to hunt with them. They will invite their relatives or friends to hunt "their" areas on Knox and then bend the rules to ensure they get that special honey hole. Again, only a few do this but a few is too many and they need to seek their volunteer status elsewhere. They need to stop being selfish and greedy.

No problem with soldiers getting extra time to hunt but gun is open a lot now.

Uscnoklahoma

6 pointer
Nov 12, 2013
SC
I scouted 45 in August. I saw a deer on the boundary with 46. Honestly, it looked pretty good to me right where 45,46, and the off limit area came together. 45 is nothing but a thicket right in there so the food is there for them. That being said I haven't been on 46 other than the boundary.

alwaysinrut

6 pointer
Oct 28, 2010
46 and 48 are both good areas, if your in 46 hunt close to where it touches 48, down in the creek bottom of 46 is also good.

64guns

Fawn
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for the tips. Went in there today, up on top. Lots of thicket up there as well. Saw four does just out of range. Plenty of game trails, but didn't see one rub or scrape. The gates are closed up by the mout site, so it was a hike to get in there. Gonna try the draws and creek bottoms tomorrow.

Jde

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2013
Headed to are 100 this weekend. Anyone on here ever hunted there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jde

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2013
I got a friend that's part leader in 36, they haven't killed much. That area has been open pretty much everyday since season came in. It will be a tough area. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysinrut

6 pointer
Oct 28, 2010
Heading to 87-87a this weekend anybody else in there with me? Going to be bad weather but the freezer is already full and just looking to have a good time with buddies.

toypar

Fawn
Nov 10, 2010
Went to Knox this weekend. Hunted 80 seen a few deer. But is the number of hunter putting in down that bad. I think we was the only area hunting. 82,81,79,78,77,74,73 and 72 all closed. Didn't hear a shot. I think are hunt would of been better if they was hunting them area

Aug 18, 2012
Many of the quota areas were closed this past weekend because of a unit training across the ranges and the drop zone. Without the number of hunters pushing deer around I'm sure it was a slower weekend than normal.

moose1750

Fawn
Dec 15, 2004
manchester ky.
Slow is a bad understatement on 80 this past weekend,
I have been hunting on Knox for the last ten years and the deer numbers has dropped drastically in the last four or five year. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Latest posts