2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 29, 2015.

1. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    The term area guide is a misnomer. They are more administrators. They are there to make sure all hunters are aware of boundries, rules and are checked in and out on time. They are not required to give hunters information on where to hunt within the assigned area. Think about it. An area guide gets calls from 20 people assigned to an area, if they were to give all 20 people the same information then hunters would be pilled on top of each other. Its the hunters responsibility to do a good map recon and possibly scout if the areas is open prior to the beginning of quota. if its an area only open during quota, you must rely on your knowledge of terrain and deer behavior to pick a suitable location. Your best bet is to stick it out in your stand all day and let all the walkers push deer to you when they decide its time to go on a walk about.

2. PYseeker

PYseeker 6 pointer

May 19, 2015
    Another Tip with your area guide. They can NOT tell you where you CANT hunt with in the legal bounds of a hunting area. They often times will bring guests, which they are allowed and will put them in the areas prime spots. You are free to hunt where you want, just remember to respect other hunters and give them some space. If you have problems with area guides telling you, you can't hunt some where that is clearly marked on your map as a legal hunting area within you assigned area you should notify Hunt Control of the issue.

3. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    Anyone else having problems downloading and opening the Firearms Registration form? I keep getting this and it never opens....

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    It's been a problem for over a week....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't know what causes it, but I have heard several folks complaining about it.

5. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    It's a problem with Google Chrome and your Adobe (was for me anyway). Try opening it in Foxfire or Explorer.

6. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Thanks for the info. Has this actually been an issue in the past?

7. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    Finally got it to open in IE instead of Edge or Chrome. Thanks for the tips!

8. Claims Rep.

Claims Rep. 6 pointer

Feb 6, 2010
    ^^^
    This might be the best advice you could possibly receive for Knox (really any military post). When deciding where to hunt, always consider the hunters who like to walk (we call them "stompers") and where you think they might stomp through. While drives are not allowed, if you plan accordingly you can strategically use the stompers to your advantage and they won't even realize they've helped you out until after you've shot your buck. ;)

9. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Does anyone know if if that road in 97 that goes through the center of the area is a road you can drive on during the quota hunt.

10. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I'm pretty sure you can. The roads with the "dashed" lines are gravel roads, which are legal to drive on (and two wheel drive accessible).

11. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
  12. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Hey guys got a cousin who drawed area 87 dec hunt I know it's been opened for gun hunting a lot but any info would be appreciated thanks.

13. alwaysinrut

alwaysinrut 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2010
    Me and 4 buddies also got drawn for 87 December hunt. Lot of steep ridges and draws with some creek bottom. It's even open for gun a lot this year and also is tomorrow and Thursday. How many is in your party?

14. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    They was five but I think he said they all backed out on him he said he was going to go any way,it joins ceder creek tank range might be a pretty good area .i drawed 97 do you guys know anything it.

15. RutMe

RutMe Fawn

Nov 7, 2012
    Area 48 info anyone ?