2015-16 Fort Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Aug 29, 2015.

1. alwaysinrut

alwaysinrut 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2010
    We hunted 93 this morning no deer sightings and only found one rub, switched areas and found a few rubs and scrapes finally and seen 1 doe a small buck and a bobcat. 8 point killed in 17 today by military and and a really nice 8 point killed in 16 today. Most guys at hunt control said they haven't been seeing much and can't find any sign either. Felt like there was no one hunting today, this time last year seems like there were trucks parked everywhere, only seen a handful today and we was the only ones in our second area.

2. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    That's hard to believe, there was like 300 trucks parked at HC Friday morning. they must all be on the ranges, or way up north. LOL

3. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I'm thinking about trying to bow hunt next year (I do not have a bow, but would like to buy one). For those of you who both work and bow hunt on Knox... a few questions.

1. Are we allowed to bring a bow to work and leave it in the truck all day, and then go hunting straight after work?

2. Do you have to declare a bow at the gate?

3. When you're hunting an area that is only open for bow during the gun season, and you kill a deer, does it count toward your bow tag or your gun tag? For example, area 54 is only open for bow today, although there are other units that are open to gun hunting. If I were to hunt area 54 with a bow today, and kill a deer, would it count toward my bow tag or gun tag?

4. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    I'm tier 4 civilian but any deer you kill there with your bow is on your bow tag.

5. BlueDawg

BlueDawg Fawn

Dec 5, 2008
    Noone has any info on area 80 to share ?

6. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    we got drawn for area 4 first gun weekend any info would be appreciated

7. 3hunters3

3hunters3 Fawn

Nov 2, 2013
    Any info on area 83

8. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    The Ft Knox bow tag is a bonus tag and does not count against your state tag.

9. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Deer Archery tag is good for bow hunting during archery season.
    You can hunt with a bow during quota gun hunt, but, use your quota gun tag.

10. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Do the guides (for the quota hunt) give guidance on good locations in those areas? I'm hunting 72, which I've never hunted before, and I'm not too sure of where I should set up.

11. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

The best thing to do is try and figure out a target area on your map (map is available online as well). The area guides are not "guides" so to speak. They might be kind enough to point you in a direction but don't really count on it.
    You might be able to go scout the are if need be. Check with the HC office to see if it will be open for scouting.
    Good luck!

12. fatbuck

fatbuck Spike

Nov 3, 2004
    Anyone out there not receive their documents yet. Still no papers or refund.

13. riverview

riverview 8 pointer

I got drawn for the same area this year as last year. Is that unusual or do they try to keep hunters in areas they have hunted before?

14. fatbuck

fatbuck Spike

Nov 3, 2004
    Papers came in today.
    Area 117. December hunt.
    No one in our group has hunted this area, what can we expect? Thanks.

15. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff

Only a few places on Knox that I have never been to and 117 is one of them. I have turkey hunted and fished 112 and have seen lots of deer sign in that area. Have also heard the stories of the deer of Hays Flats, and lots of moaning about the impact areas being off limits. Any area adjacent to an impact area is usually pretty good.

Looking at Google maps, I am betting those fields are badly overgrown and rough to get through. 117 might be one of those areas that is only open to the quota hunt and if that’s the case, you will be hunting deer that have not been disturbed, so it looks like a rough area to get into, but should be a great hunt.