2014-15 Ruffed Grouse Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 1, 2014.

1. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Went out yesterday with a new pup, mostly just seeing how he'd act. Put up one bird twice. No shots fired, pup seemed to enjoy it. First and last day for me in the grouse woods this season. Funny how life will do that to ya.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    After last weekends failed attempt to hunt because of finding a dead person in the woods, I mustered the energy to go Saturday. No flushes but did have points in six places with fresh tracks everywhere. Hope they have lots of babies thus year

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I ended the year with zero birds in the bag. I think I had 6-7 flushes. I didn't even bother to write in my journal again this year.

4. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I was driving into work this morning and looked over and seen what looked like a grouse. I turned around and went back and seen it run out of a yard into a briar thicket. I had to flush it so I parked car and got out and got to the edge of the thicket. Where it was pouring the rain it jumped on a downed tree and looked right at me 10ft away and didn't want to flush. Why don't they act like this from Nov. - Feb. Anyways, after breaking a few briars I got it to flush, great way to start the day with that sound.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Just tallied up my grouse calendar for the 14-15 season...

Days Afield: 25
    Birds Located: 13 for sure, maybe 15.
    Points by Dogs: 10, some were by both dogs but count as one.
    Birds Fired Upon: 4
    Results: 2 killed, 1 likely crippled because it wasn't seen in subsequent re-visits.
    And one really excellent double point on a large and sleepy black bear. No shot, no retrieve.

Days afield were cut short by weather this year. Big gaps in the calendar. I recall some years that I was out 35+ days.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015