2014-15 Ruffed Grouse Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 1, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I got out today, Saturday was just too dang cold. I checked on a bird I saw a month or so ago, took both dogs and a little sleet and snow didn't bother us. Got one point in a treelap, managed to spot the little cottontailed feller and called the dogs off. I told Bawd, "Leave him alone Bawd, we don't do fur."

We covered some good recently logged cover with nary a sniff, and on the way out we covered the hot dry oak side where I wouldn't expect to see a bird. Both dogs went down deep in a drain and pointed, and it took me 5 or 6 minutes to climb down to them. They were in a double drain, two gullies side by side with a 20 foot hump of dirt between them. I got up on the hump and released the dogs, and they ran around and Scout pointed again, and Bawd ran up and stood beside me. That's not like her, so I said, "Git in there and bring it out." She jumped over the hill about 10 feet and ran under a downed tree with a lot of brush on it. I heard leaves swishing and brush cracking so I got the gun up, but then I heard a rock rolling down the hill. Grouse don't push rocks around. But big fat black bears do, and that's what came out of the tree top, down the bank and back up the other side with Bawd right behind it. "Please no Bawd!" I said. "We don't do fur!" Bawd left it alone, and we watched it run up the hill to a log road and it disappeared around the bend.

It was a big, beautiful animal, all black deep glistening fur and waves of fat rolling up and down its back and flanks. It was just loping along, so it may have been a bit sleepy after being awakened from its winter sleep.

I wasn't afraid of the bear, had to follow its path to get back to the truck. I hope it goes back to its den and gets settled again. Dunn saw a bear in that same hollow 2 years ago, so I am wondering if it isn't a female that has set up house and isn't moving around.

I'm just glad little Scout didn't tackle it and kill it. I don't need a bear poaching rap hanging over my head.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Heck of a story! You weren't scared of your dogs getting hurt, just the bear?

3. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    interesting story. Question - if your dogs did get tangled up with a bear and you shot it to save the dogs, would there be any legal issues if the law found out?

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I just about guarantee the KDFWR would pursue it criminally if they found out, but I'm confident the local court system would see the situation for what it was and eventually make it go away.

5. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    kind of what I figured. Doubt much would come out of it in the end other than a massive headache.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I don't think the department would do anything other than question you on what happened. Your allowed to protect your property and a dog is your property.

7. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Exactly! But don't shoot the bear just because you think it is going to hurt your dogs. trust me handled the situation just the way it needed to be handled.

8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    From what I gather of the situation, your lucky you don't have charges filed on you this Monday morning. I know lil Andi would have mauled it for sure!

I believe I seen it 2-3 year ago. I would hafta go back in these threads and read up on it. I would guess it's a resident bear maybe? Sure makes it scary walkin in that place in the dark to deer hunt, eh?

9. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Got out Sat and Sunday in the frozen tundra, Saturday visited a place I haven't hunted in years and moved two birds, neither offering a shot. Yesterday hunted an old standby place and didn't have a single flush or point which was very surprising.

If I ended up having to kill a bear, it would just be my little secret I guess, I don't break game laws but if I was forced to I would take it to my grave.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Got out today and saw two birds. Walked up on the first one on the top bench, while the dogs were in heavy cover down below. I saw it on the ground and watched it fly back down below me and disappear way down the holler. A few minutes later I heard one drumming down the ridge, walked real slow and sure enough, saw a big bird up on a log. I didnt' get to see him drum, but he stayed put until the dog got close and I watched him flutter down into a treelap 50 or 60 yards over the hill. The dogs got close again, and the bird moved on around the hill. I decided we'd circle around and come in on him from downwind, so we did. It worked perfectly, got a great double point on the top bench and when I poked my head over the bench I saw the bird sailing off down the hill. It wasn't long after that the dogs quit in the 60F temps and we went to the truck. I got the crow call out and called in three, and whacked one.

So, 4 flushes on 2 birds with one point for the day. That makes 8 birds I've located so far this season.

11. Gen.Stonewall

Gen.Stonewall 6 pointer

May 1, 2009
    Bell Co.
    No birds again today but did snap a couple of pictures of some old home places for trustme. Dogs hunted hard but nothing to show.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

12. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Out today and had a really nice Hunt. Ended up with 9 pointed birds and two dead ones. Also ran across something new to me and would love to hear others thoughts.

Dog pointed in a drain with big tangles of bittersweet vines covered in a berries, the ground was literally carpeted in them. That point yielded a five bird covey rise. My question is have you all ever found birds in bittersweet? I've never seen much of it in the places we hunt so this was a first for me

13. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Sounds like a heck of a hunt, any pics?

14. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    A pair of birds busted out from under a bittersweet vine several years ago while I was chasing woodcock. A hunting buddy killed a bird last season or the season before in a big bittersweet patch. The latter patch was Asian bittersweet rather than American bittersweet, but the birds don't know the difference.

15. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    i am pretty sure this was American bittersweet, but am by no means an expert so it could be the other. I've never seen it in the areas we hunt, but the volume of berries on the ground was staggering and by the concentration of birds there, it obviously was the place to be. Nice to see a good number of birds, this year has been a little slim at times