2014-15 Ruffed Grouse Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    . The days of getting on a strip and staying in cover for 4 or 5 hours or just about gone. [/QUOTE]

They were great days though, weren't they? To my grouse biology thinking , the forty plus years of regeneration of the strip benches and downslopes created the great grouse hunting many of us grew up on. Tough to see the situation and population we have now.

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Nice pics BirdBuster ... That's a sweet looking little wand.

3. Gen.Stonewall

Gen.Stonewall 6 pointer

May 1, 2009
    Bell Co.
    That is so true. I would love to have those days back here in the Bell Co. My 2 young boys love going but they have not got to see the dogs point a wild bird yet.

Glad someone is finding a few birds still around. Good job!!!

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I honestly haven't had the desire to go . I'd rather save my money and travel to do the majority of my fishing and hunting . If you don't mind wasting your time and money this is just the place to be. I sometimes wish I hadn't traveled so much to great hunting and fishing destinations then I wouldn't know what were missing .

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    If I didn't get to travel to hunt birds, I would really have to think long and hard about keeping a bird dog. Got to go up north once this year. My second trip got cancelled due to bad weather coming in. For time being I am holding out for next year and in a couple of years, retirement. Hopefully I will be a part-time resident of Wisconsin after retirement. Will have to see what the Good Lord Above has in the cards for me.

6. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks grouseguy! Love the little gun. It just showed up at the right place at the right time and found itself back in the grouse woods. Gun was used very little and is still tight as new. Bonus, it come from the factory with 0 & 2 chokes, cylinder and modified

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Been out a few times the last week or 10 days, and moved a few birds on all but one trip, most being 5 one afternoon. Only killed one, but that's due to lack of shooting ability on my part. With so much mast/food I have no concerns and firmly believe once the food starts to dry up birds will become more concentrated. If not, oh well, I will have stayed in shape and enjoyed good company.

I cannot imagine being at a point where I can't find enjoyment from getting in the woods and doing a little walking. If I can't enjoy a walk alone with my dog with or without birds, in beautiful country then I have no reason to live. If I can't enjoy a nice walk in the woods with my buddies and shooting the breeze with or without birds I have no reason to live. If I can't enjoy getting a little exercise and be thankful I am healthy and able to spend time in the woods I have no reason to live.

The attitudes of so many in this country any more just sucks to be honest. I'm not that old, but can certainly appreciate the often overlooked benefits of being outdoors. I guess my kind are a dying breed that birds are just an added bonus to all the other stuff others seem to take for granted.

8. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    That's some good billygoat country birdbuster. Hitch I agree as long as I can breath and walk up and down hollers I will always pursue. I averaged two flushes per hunt and covered 84 miles over a two month period but it was all good

9. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Make no mistake about it , I spend as much time in the outdoors as anyone and wish it were more . I remember not many years ago taking off work from mid October and hunting the north 2 weeks before coming home to hunt 4-5 days a week thru the end of season for several seasons through the 90's and early 2000's. The birds in my area are gone and while I'm not in it to kill birds its not fair to the dogs IMO . I've found other venues in other states to spend my time and money. At some point ,most people will get tired of status quo.

10. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

You and me both BB. We've bought the WI lake house ... we do a few vacation rentals to pay taxes, insurance and maintenance and spend as much time in the Northwoods as possible. I'm looking forward to retirement and approximately June thru November, maybe later, up north. I also agree with ribsplitter ... KY is where I live and work, but I spend most of my playtime going somewhere else to do it. Eastern KY just doesn't have near the small game and fishing as the northern states.

11. Gen.Stonewall

Gen.Stonewall 6 pointer

May 1, 2009
    Bell Co.
    I didn't say that I didn't enjoy it Dr. Phil!!! Just wish my kids had the opportunity to see the "good" hunting. They are 11 and 12. They love the dogs and really enjoy watching them hunt but they get pretty bored just "walking" as they say.

All is good, anytime I get to spend in the woods or chasing smallmouth is good.

12. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Out today, moved a group of three with no shots, followed up by a single later. Not great but good enough. No birds killed

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Boys, go ahead and oil your guns and put them away, wash your hunting togs and store them for the season. I've killed the last grouse in East Kentucky.

Went out yesterday in 60 temps and hot gusty wind from the south, but a daylong drizzle kept me cool. I went and knocked on the door of a bird I saw in November, but he wasn't home, so I went to a holler that I first visited with bird dogs nearly 40 years ago, and after it was logged 5 or 6 years ago, it's got some bird cover again.

The only way into this holler is a gutbusting straight up climb. We got in there and the dogs knew where to go, and it wasn't long until I had two dogs locked up solid. I had to cross the creek to get to them, and when I was stepping down into the branch and had my head down, the bird came up and had his rockets on before I could get on him. I got one shot off, and I was on him but he showed no signs of being hit. I marked his path and we went after him.

The dogs pointed again on a high windy oak steep, and the bird was in a large treelap. It came out low and I had to wait for it to clear the dogs before i could get a shot, and it acted weak, angling down the hill and crossing a small cove. Rather than climb down and back up, I followed the contour of the cove and went back in it to save elevation. We were moving fast and about that time I saw the old dog bow up and about the time her tail went up over her back, the bird flushed hard and was going to the ridge and I dropped it in a cloud of feathers. It balled up and thumped the ground. When dead birds hit the ground like that, they usually stay dead.

Bawd1-3-15.jpg

I got to thinking that I didn't see the bird I was chasing angle into the cove, and started worrying that I'd killed a second bird, and the possibly wounded first bird was still at large. We spent the next hour combing the hillside and holler but the wind and rain weren't doing the dogs any favors, and nothing came of it. The only way out of the holler is a gutbusting straight up climb, and we headed to the truck.

It was a special treat to get to take a bird over point in this place. My pap hunted it back in the day, and I was always intriqued by the old chimneys that still stand today, hundred year old guardians of memories long forgotten.

chimney.jpg

I was 10 or 12 back then and we could always get a dozen or more flushes in that place, and after hunting it and one or two nearby hollers it was all my little legs could do to get back over that mountain. I never wanted to whine and complain because Pap might not bring me back, so i toughed it out and always matched him step for step. I wasnt' carrying a gun back then and my hands and pockets were always filled with rocks and rusty relics gathered from the old house sites.

14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    nice bird. love the chimneys. they could tell some great tales if they could talk. getting harder to find them especially fully intact like that one. if there was any way to move them intact id have a bunch of them on my place.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  15. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    trust me,
    I never thought we would ever measure a grouse hunt by getting to work one bird, but here we find ourselves. Great hunt! Love the picture of the old chimley, as the old timers would call them. See you still have some bliars in that cover, as well.