2014-15 Ruffed Grouse Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 1, 2014.

1. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Anybody know anything about this area hit by tornadoes a couple of years ago?

Regarding habitat conditions, Friedhof reported, as some of you may already know, that two parallel tornados passed across eastern Kentucky in March 2012. It is estimated that 23,000 acres of forest were knocked down. Only some was able to be salvaged and logged. Friedhof said, “The habitat looks good already for grouse in this second growing season following the tornados.”

Is it public land at all?

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    If it's only two years old, it might could be briary

3. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Moved 6 different birds today. First point produced 2 birds. I knocked one down but it got back up and we never did find it. Hate like he** when that happens. Next point produced 1 bird. My buddy missed twice. Next flush was wild. No dog was near it. The last point we had produced two birds. They escaped without a shot being fired. Did manage to get a wild reflush on one of them. The first 4 birds were in grapes and the last two were in a pine thicket with wild rose mixed in. My total for 3 hunts is a total of 10 hours with 10 birds moved.

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Got up 1 bird today around the top of an old reclaim. It was a jumpy little fellar. It came up 50 yards or more from the dogs.

5. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    merry christmas to everone, good hunting days to come.

6. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    Was anyone lucky enough to see a Christmas grouse, Santa forgot to give me mine. The dogs hunted for one and we had one unproductive point don't know if the dogs really smelt something or just trying to keep me interested.

7. Gen.Stonewall

Gen.Stonewall 6 pointer

May 1, 2009
    Bell Co.
    Hunted 3 days in the last week. Only 1 point and a missed shot to show for it. Seems as if all my honey holes have dried up from years past. Dogs hunted really hard. I am going to have to do some exploring. It was great to be back in the woods with dogs again after many years.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I went Saturday to visit a bird I'd seen earlier, but he wasnt' home. Explored another holler that was full of good cover, never saw a feather.

My dogs have forgotten what we go looking for.

9. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Same here, went to three honey holes that held birds last year. Nothing flying except crows. Had a good walk though saw lots of this year's rubs but that is it

10. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Anybody ever hunt near west liberty in Morgan county? Got s farm there and was thinking of trying to walk some up. Used to flush several in there.

11. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunted for 2 hours this evening. Was driving to one of my covers when I saw a grouse strutting in the road. Backed up and got the dog and myself ready and made our way to the bird. As with more often than not, the bird flushed wild as we approached. Daisy went to where the bird flushed and pointed. Then a 50 yard point and track ended with the another bird flushing in cover so thick I couldn't mount my gun. Followed the bird up with the same results, to thick for a shot. Loaded up and headed to the cover I had planed to hunt. No more birds were willing to play the game today. 3 flushes on 2 birds. Don't plan on hunting any more this year.

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I saw one today. 3 year old pointed it, old dog didn't believe her and ran it up.

Got a turkey to hold for a point today too. It held like a late season grouse.

13. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    2 hours on the ground this evening produced 4 birds. Had a nice point on this one. Actually got a picture of Daisy pointing the bird and a photo of the bird with the new to me 1925 Ithaca 28ga.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Where are you bird hunting birdbuster

15. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunting Bell and Harlan Co mostly. Plans changed today and I was able to go for a short hunt. My Chess dog is just coming out of heat and I wanted to get her some exercise. Took her to a spot that always holds a bird but they are very hard to kill. It is a Mt. Laurel thicket. Had 5 flushes. 2 points. The only shot I had was a wild flush by me. I gave it a pass as I have done for the last 3 or 4 years. Just not a lot of birds. I want to see the dog work not just the retrieve. I may have moved 2 birds but no more than that today. I have just about quit hunting the strip benches. I am finding birds in the little dark hollows most of which are behind houses. I will hit a spot for an hour or two and move to the next one. The days of getting on a strip and staying in cover for 4 or 5 hours or just about gone. Yesterday I hit 2 different spots just to give you some perspective.