2014-15 Ruffed Grouse Thread

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 1, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Took the sweet little dog to a 20+ acre clear cut that's about 10 years old. Lots of briars and brush, no birds. It held a couple last year so I have hopes for it still. Took the old problem dog to a holler that was cut a few years ago, not clear cut but cut pretty hard, and put up one bird wide in front of the dog with no point. It cleared the ridge and took a ride on the 30 mph winds.

A cold damp windy day but it felt good to get out.

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I haven't been out yet, we got back from Maine last Thursday, still trying to recover from the trip. I hope to get out when this rain goes away. Reports from several club members are that their seeing good numbers of grouse,I hope numbers are up all over the grouse zone. When I say good numbers I mean more than they've seen in the last 5 yrs. Numbers are still down of course, but hopefully are on the increase.

3. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    Last month I had a female setter come to me that was lost in the north woods. The dog had a beeper collar on it but no name tag to identify the owner. I had the pleasure of meeting Ann Jandernoa last month and contacted her about the dog. She took the dog in her kennel and put out the information on the internet about the dog and it was returned to its owner 2 days later. Ann is the owner of https://www.northwnd.com grouse habitat maps. I purchased on of her chips for my garmin astro and it was superb. If you're like me and have way more belly than your knees should be carrying, I would highly recommend the investment. The maps are detailed about the clear cuts and have the trails marked that are not on other maps. Ann is a great dog person, experienced grouse guide and has a excellent product for grouse and woodcock hunters.

4. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Birdman, how was your trip to Maine? I went to Kokadjo 1 time about 7 or 8 years ago. It was a real neat experience, not the best cover there were a lot of spruce trees etc. but beutiful country.

5. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    We found several birds, the cover was so thick you couldn't get many good shots, between 7 hunters we took 17 birds in 4 1/2 days in the field. We were rained out 2 1/2 days. We will probably go back next year but at least one week earlier. We had good dog work, the young dogs improved and the old dogs got lots of work. We left Maine and were planning on three days in New Hampshire but only hunted two day because of rain we left a day early. New Hampshire is the prettest place I've ever hunted. Lots of cover but the birds were down. If they have a good hatch this year I'm going back. My 5 yr. old female broke her tail and we had to amputate about 1/2 of her tail, she had the stitches taken out this morning.

GSP picked my new pup up on his way back from the UP she looking good. I'll try to post a picture or two later.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    [​IMG]

She's 9 weeks old and having a ball.

7. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    Beautiful puppy glad you had a good trip.

8. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    My three local trips have resulted in two pointed grouse, no shot opportunities. Two hour hunts each time.

9. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I took the hell cat Josie, yesterday afternooon for about two hours, there was snow on top where we were, flew one grouse no shot.

10. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Finally got out for my first KY grouse hunt of the year. Work has had me pretty busy. Had 3 points on 2 different grouse. First bird, as I was going to my dog, I heard fly. Did not get to see it. The second bird flew just as the dog pointed. Held as tight as a tree root on the second point. Got to bring the big rooster home with me. This thread is very slow. Has everybody quit hunting?

11. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Got out today for the first time this season, usually I try and not waste my time hunting before mid December, but had nothing better to do today. I went to a normally solid place, and moved zero, and had no points. I now remember why I usually skip the early part of the season, as the birds seem to avoid the areas I hunt until several months of horrid weather drive them in there.

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I went out the first day of season and flew nothing. Did find a new place that's very long that is being logged.

I won't hunt in deer season. No use gettin in a fight with another gun toting redneck. Work hit me after that, along with cows. All is takin care of though after today. I'll get out startin tomorrow.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Got 2 points and 3 wild flushes on probably 2 birds today. Dog would point and bird would blow out 50 yards up the hill. No shots fired. It was nice to see and hear the little brown birds. Hardly stirred a feather last year.

We find birds in November and December so we can kill birds in January and February.

14. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Went out Friday and Saturday. Had a point on a lone woodcock Friday. That's all.

15. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    I braved reality yesterday and went for my firs hunt in Ky this season. Like most the dogs and I got some good exercise and that was it. After spending the month of Oct in Wis it sure is disheartening trying to hut here.