2013 Ft. Knox question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 13, 2013.

1. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Hunted area 48 Saturday and Sunday morning. Killed a doe Saturday morning, saw a buck that was right at 12" wide. Sunday morning saw a nice buck but no shot. My dad and brother both saw legal bucks with no shot available. If the weather had been better Sunday morning I think we could have done better. Saturday we figured out where we needed to be, but Sunday morning was steady sleet and freezing rain.

2. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    Hunted area 116 and to my surprise took a 2 1/2 year old buck that was ANTLERLESS. He appeared to have either shed the antlers or been in one heck of a fight. The bases where the antlers should be were already dark and scabbed over. He weighed 99 pounds and the guide and hunt control were not overly concerned about this incident. I thought I was shooting a larger doe. Tagged it as a doe. Any saw this before around this area of the state?

3. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Back in the late 90's we got drawn for the 1st weekend. Buddy killed a spike (this was before the they had antler restrictions) when we went to drag it they pulled off in his hands.

4. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    heard 112 went all weekend, zero deer killed.

5. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    There were only 2 hunters that did not show for area 116. I think there were 2 bucks ( mine that didnt have horns ) and 4 does taken.

6. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Not sure how many were killed in 48, but in a day and a half of hunting I heard less than 10 shots anywhere.

7. Madco

Madco Spike

Dec 6, 2010
    Richmond, KY
    Did anyone else hunt 116???

8. whitetailchaser

whitetailchaser 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2012
    Williamsburg, KY
    I hunted 10 and no one in my party killed anything and we only saw 5 combined deer for the entire group

9. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    My buddy who hunted area 102 (or maybe it was 103, I can't remember for sure) said that only 10 out of 18 showed up for their hunt. And of those, 5 were the "guides" and whoever was with them. He said no one killed anything in their group and didn't even hear but one shot "anywhere close".

I sorta figured there might be some decent movement out there this weekend and some meat on the ground!

10. 2518speck

2518speck Spike

Oct 6, 2007
    campbellsville, ky
    I hunted area 81 all day Saturday and sunday. only got a glimpse of a deer on Saturday. I think only 2 doe were taken this weekend. seems like a good area with lots of sign but the deer just wasn't moving. the party leaders were great and very helpful. I am a tier 4 hunter and this was my fifth year at knox and I am very greatful to have the opportunity to hunt there. thanks again to my guides and the whole fort knox group for giving me this hunt. see ya next year!!!

11. kcbrown

kcbrown 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    Area 7 took 2 bucks and a doe over both weekends. 7 was not open the first weekend.

12. slowjimbo

slowjimbo 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Deviltown
    Hunted Area 82. Only a few deer seen by all and none taken. Area 85 took a decent buck and a doe on Sunday. Only 8 people hunting in our area, of which five were guides and their guest. Decent sign in the area, just no movement seen.

13. whitetaildreamer

whitetaildreamer Fawn

Nov 4, 2011
    Sharpsburg, Ky.
    Weather kept my group from making it this past weekend does anybody know what the turnout was for area 95/96 and if anybody killed any good ones out of that area?

14. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Not sure what was killed, but I was in 48 across the river and I didn't hear any shots.