2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    At least I won't be empty handed for the season. I fought all different kind of elements on a bird Saturday and brought her home. The sun was in my eyes, I was side hillin on a mules face, my partner (Trust me) was trying to push me out of the way asking me if I was going to shoot, an I still outdrew him and killed the bird 15 feet from me. It wasn't how I wanted to take one, but I had to break the ice. It was poorly handled by my old dog. It was really all in slow motion. I saw the bird come up and just left my gun down. He asked if I was going to take a shot, an I still left my gun down. I had to think about it for what seemed forever before I actually drew on it. After that, the rest is history. I heard another take off after the shot, but couldn't locate it.

We got up 2 birds in 3 hollers. Whistle britches fount a small shed. It'll be a good toilet paper holder. It really is a pitiful year around here.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Blame the dog, blame me, blame everybody 'cept the feller that had his booger hook rammed up halfway to his brain and had to pull it out before he could draw a bead and get on the trigger.

3. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Hunted hard Saturday through a new piece of cover we just found. Had one contact and a solid point by my buddies dog. Just couldn't make it happen, the dog pointed on the steepest hillside in Kentucky. I believe we might have been halfway there when the bird came up. Can't blame the dog, we watched him hold that bird forever. My buddy could have probably gotten a long crossing shot as it came across but he let it go, another one for a different day. Might make a few more birds for next year.

4. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY

Hey msu do you encounter birds on those steep hillside a lot? Is it think cover? I ask because my clearcuts are all on top of ridge. The sides mountain contain some young 3-4 inch sapling but it's pretty open. In your experience do you see grouse in these somewhat open areas? After reading yours I wonder if my birds are running our of the thicket and down the hillsides? I found a good hillside with mountain laurel and low growing sour briars which the bird I killed had a full crop of when I cleaned it. Hope this makes sense. There have been some rare times this year that the only birds she's scenting are turkey's?

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I haven't posted many reports but this past weekend was okay. Saturday hunted in the morning in a nasty piece of cover which yielded 2 flushes both birds flushed wild one offering an easy shot which we passed since we don't take non pointed birds and the other flushed 100 yards from dog or human. That afternoon we climbed the equivalent of Everest and moved 4 birds which were pointed and had another 2-3 points where birds had been. Birds were laughably jumpy even when pointed, flushing way before offering a shot or running to a lip and diving down the mountain. Last bird that was pointed was in relatively open woods, flushed and flew about 50 yards and landed again in wide open hardwoods. I took my pup after it, he pointed the bird and when I approached the bird was displaying for us at about 10 yards. I had to run at it to get it to flush and when it did, it died. Beautiful cock bird with cinnamon ruffs.

Yesterday morning we had a very solid hunt and moved quite a few birds, exact numbers are hard to say but somewhere around 5. Again birds wouldn't hold at all and would flush well ahead of the dogs or randomly. However, one did hold and held well. I shot through a wall of greenbrier and grapes, bird folded and fell and that was the last we saw of it. Sucks losing one but it unfortunately happens. Yesterday afternoon was a complete bust spent in a new place with great cover just impossible to effectively hunt it because of the way they cut the logging roads.

I believe there are more birds around than we are seeing per hunt, they are just extremely wily and I would assume that is a result of mature birds versus young of the year birds. I have seen more beech nuts this weekend than I have ever seen in my life and the trees are still covered with them as well. I am beaten and broken down, everything hurts or is shredded by briars. If I don't ever traipse through another impenetrable blackberry nest I will be happy :)

6. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    To be perfectly honest Wildirishman I haven't been in this game long enough to give advice, you may be asking the wrong person! lol But I will share what my observations have been. Honestly it seems to me that it depends on the stem density of the cover when you have saplings that large. If there fairly packed in tight then yes I do find birds there sometimes but if there more open I generally don't. I don't suspect I hunt what a lot of guys on here would call prime cover simply because I don't have many places to hunt that have young cuts on them, actually to tell the truth I hunt a lot of old logging roads too. I also will say that it seems like the dark side of the hill holds more birds for the places I do have access to. This may just be because in my particular situation the cover grows out slower in those spots. But yeah I find most birds in thickets on hillsides, the cuts on the top can be productive but it seems like they almost get to much sun? As you know any animal has to be near food so maybe give it a try. The way things are here what could it hurt? lol Just my observations so take them with a grain of salt, I never seen the good old days of Grouse hunting here in KY so my observations may not align with guys with a whole bunch more experience than mine.

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I thought he was going to say that he shot it from the hip!!!!:highly_amused:

8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I left that part out for fear of being called a liar.

9. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Thanks MSU and I understand what you are hunting in. Seems like I find most of my birds on the transition area ( just outside of the dense cover and in the dark side of the holler, close to running water. The clearcuts I hunt are pretty old maybe 15 to 18 years old. I may change my game up alittle and try some new holler from top to bottom and switching to different hollers from the bottom to the top. As far your experience goes in this game, just remember we learn something new everytime we go out in the woods. The guys who hunted the glory days said that they wouldn't step in the woods as the numbers and logging have all but ceased in the areas I hunt. Thanks for the reply

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

10. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    The guys who hunted the glory days said that they wouldn't step in the woods as the numbers and logging have all but ceased in the areas I hunt.

Know what you mean, sometimes I feel like were the last of a dying breed. Hopefully they'll always be an old bird or two around for us to break our ankles on trying to kill.

11. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunted 2 of my best covers today. Had both dogs on the ground. Not one contact. Very dishearting. My covers are shrinking every year. The boarders are getting bigger by the year. If logging doesn't get started pretty quick, I will be out.

12. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    +1 brother, I wish selective logging would return to our federal lands

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

13. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Where do you hunt birdbuster?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

14. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
  15. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Birdbuster. I pass that on my way to Hensley settlement. In VA. That's big country. Are you hunting relaimed?

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!