2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

msu_hunter

6 pointer
Oct 23, 2011
A couple of birds that tasted oh so good. I just am happy that the good lord gave me a chance to harvest them! Appalachian grouse...don't think any bird in the world could taste better!

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389667259118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389667259118.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 243

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I finally got on the board today, killed my first bird of the Kentucky season. Kind of a bittersweet experience.

Dunn and I hunted a holler of my childhood, one I hunted without a dog as a teenager. It was logged about 6-8 years ago, and I've been meaning to give it a whirl for a while. It's hard to get to, no roads, no ATV trails, pretty much forgotten. We spent about 3-4 hours in it, and found some really good cover. It'll be good for a few more years.

The dogs did great. Dunn's young dog went on point, and my young dog was honoring from about 20 yards in front. The bird started walking out, and I could tell his dog was watching the bird, and when it flushed it flew down the creek and gave me an easy fly-by shot. I wasn't sure I'd get to take a bird this season, but this was a golden opportunity. The ounce and an eighth of handloaded #6's folded the bird and it hit the mud bank with a thump. When they make that sound, you know they're down for good.

It was lying in the branch water, and the dogs ran right over it a couple of times before my young dog finally found it and picked it up. She carried it across the branch and brought it to me. We petted her up well, her first retrieve and all.

Grouse1-18-14A_zpsbc53aef3.jpg

I had to shoot the bird for the dogs' sake, but I still kind of feel bad about it. They're so scarce around here it seems not right, somehow, to kill the thing that I love so much.

Grouse1-1814B_zps46a8363d.jpg

Last edited:

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
I finally got on the board today, killed my first bird of the Kentucky season. Kind of a bittersweet experience.

Dunn and I hunted a holler of my childhood, one I hunted without a dog as a teenager. It was logged about 6-8 years ago, and I've been meaning to give it a whirl for a while. It's hard to get to, no roads, no ATV trails, pretty much forgotten. We spent about 3-4 hours in it, and found some really good cover. It'll be good for a few more years.

The dogs did great. Dunn's young dog went on point, and my young dog was honoring from about 20 yards in front. The bird started walking out, and I could tell his dog was watching the bird, and when it flushed it flew down the creek and gave me an easy fly-by shot. I wasn't sure I'd get to take a bird this season, but this was a golden opportunity. The ounce and an eighth of handloaded #6's folded the bird and it hit the mud bank with a thump. When they make that sound, you know they're down for good.

It was lying in the branch water, and the dogs ran right over it a couple of times before my young dog finally found it and picked it up. She carried it across the branch and brought it to me. We petted her up well, her first retrieve and all.

I had to shoot the bird for the dogs' sake, but I still kind of feel bad about it. They're so scarce around here it seems not right, somehow, to kill the thing that I love so much.

Great day and a happy ending. I got on board last weekend and ended with a nice retrieve as well. I'm hunting a spot tomorrow that I hope will be productive. It's going to take a lot of energy getting to it but may pay off for me. Sound like the pups where working well for you. Let us know how it tasted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
Btw, I hunted in the snow for the first time this year and 15 minutes in she got birdy but got to close. Bird flushed, bird relocated and dog bumped it again.

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
Went today to a new clearcut I found on a map I. The county that I hunt in. Thought I would run my GSP thru it to see what it hold. Wasn't as thick as the ones I usually hunt in so I could see my GSP better. Didn't hold any birds but at the end of the clearcut she got birdy. She went south over the ridge top, bird must have flushed or went on the run. We turned around and hithe other half of clearcut. Bella went on point around a down tree. Searched high and low, no bird. So I pulled out GPS to find my way back to my vehicle which was almost four miles away. All and all a ice day in the woods not to cold or hot and good exercise for my Bella. Nice habit snow on the ground, jumped to deer and my girl didn't give them a second glance, thank you garmin delta! Until the next time I'm back to work tomorrow.

JonDunn

10 pointer
Dec 26, 2005
Up the holler
I decided to chase after some quail at the last minute this mornin. I headed up to my buddies strip job. I've seen some coveys here in the past, but not a bird today. I did find a small 3 point shed that had been there a couple days. No tracks around, and the snow and ice in the mudhole had it all covered up except for about an inch.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I hit a cover today that yielded a bagged bird last year. Went through some good thickets with no results, got to the last one and the dogs went on point at about 60 yards, and as I was making my way there they broke and started working, and that's when I heard the flush. A grouse with rockets under his wings went by me and made his escape. I could have fired a shot but the dogs didn't handle him well and birds are too scarce to be killing run-up birds. I'll come back to him later and see if I cant' get better dog work.

Seen three birds and taken one now, with just over a month of the season left.

Mar 16, 2010
Well it looks like my grouse hunting for the year is over. I tore my ACL with my fall last week. I talked with my hunting partner and he is still going to hunt my dog along with my son. My son hasn't grouse hunted since he was 14 and I didn't think he would ever go again. He thought I was nuts chasing after these birds up and down the mountains in eky. Now I just hope that there will be some birds in the places I'm sending him too.

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
Well it looks like my grouse hunting for the year is over. I tore my ACL with my fall last week. I talked with my hunting partner and he is still going to hunt my dog along with my son. My son hasn't grouse hunted since he was 14 and I didn't think he would ever go again. He thought I was nuts chasing after these birds up and down the mountains in eky. Now I just hope that there will be some birds in the places I'm sending him too.

Sorry to hear this news but it could happen to anyone. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

msu_hunter

6 pointer
Oct 23, 2011
Well, better late than never for an update I guess. Hunted a holler last Saturday that I have flew a couple birds out of this year. I came around the point and heard the dog stop and the point alarm sound. She was about 100 yards out, took two steps towards her and the bird came up. That is the second time this particular bird has been pointed. May have been the dogs fault but I doubt it, she's handled Grouse pretty good this year and I believe that old cock/hen is just plain spooky. I want to kill it bad but then again it's relatively close to home and would be great for my pup to learn on, Oh well who knows. Hunted about two hours Sunday mostly just driving and scouting didn't move anything. Gonna start it all over again in the morning, hopefully the old dog at ten years young can handle the deep snow up in the mountains for a few hours anyway.

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
I'm heading out in the morning before the wind picks up. I am hunting a new clearcut. Hope to et on some birds when the sun is out. I will give you all a report

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

wildirishman64

6 pointer
Dec 21, 2013
Owsley County KY
So I headed out this morning after some grouse. Figured the snow would give me an advantage. Walking in about 6 inches snow. The wind wasn't too bad. I went to a new clearcut that I've only hunted once. I didn't fly a bird on that hunt so I figured maybe time to see if any were holding there. I was in the clearcut when I cut deer tracks meandering thru the cut. Halfway thru I notice that they had company with them, running along side the track was a yote. He trailed them for a good mile before he went into a hollow. Anyhow Bella got birdy in the next clearcut. I spotted fresh grouse tracks and watched her work herself in a frenzy. Couldn't locate the bird after about 20 minutes in that area I decided it must have flew as we entered thicket. Bella did a full 360 around a deadfall tree. The wind was gusting out of the southwest fairly strong. You could see the frustration on her face as she worked the bird. Changed directions several times till she could lock on. It was amazing to watch her genetics at their best. This is the best part of bird hunting. One bumped bird and 4 and a half mile walk in the snow. No birds but nonetheless a great day

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

Latest posts