2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    You are half right...which half depends on the day.

2. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Anybody got any big plans this weekend? Weather permitting i'll be out and about.

3. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan Spike

Mar 16, 2010
    I'm hunting Lewis Co on Sunday. Hunting a farm that last year we hunted here and killed 2 birds. We had at least 8 different birds and many reflushes. It has the right cover to hold birds for the next several years. I could have killed more that day but I flushed the birds instead of Lily. I've got two good hollers that hold birds every year and I hunted the other one a couple weeks ago in the snow and didn't even see or hear any but I know there are birds there. I am going to give it a try next week.

4. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yea I tired to get a jump on the weekend by going to a thicket on the way home from work. My dog wasn't in the frame of mind to work with me :(. Gonna hit it Sunday for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    I went today after front moved thru had two flushes and shot one. My Bella found it in under 3 min. Retrieved to hand and then proceeded to locate second bird. 4.7 miles altogether. Wind was picking up so I called it a day. My new ecollar is so happy times ahead. I harvested a male and it was full of sour briar berries and some mountain fern. See below ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389470818.790768.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389470833.830351.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389470845.579209.jpg

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    4 fruitless hours in an old standby holler, place was logged in 98 and was a sure bet through about 2009, but most of it is still suitable cover. Wind was blowing at hurricane strength up on the ridges but down in the coves it was quiet. Dog did well, worked hard, and she whipped a hurt or sick coon which I put out of it's misery.

7. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    I quit today when several gust brought some rotted trees falling. I and pooch rerouted to the vehicle. May hunt tomorrow, I will have to look at the wind

8. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Another trip to a clearcut that I haven't hunted in a week or so. Very warm today, no flushes except bunnies. Would like to see some cold weather and some snow?

9. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Went out yesterday in the wind, had one point and absoluetly wiffed on the best lookin shot i've had all year. The bird came up close and gave me a pretty left to right...missed it three times. Oh well, switched it up this morning and went after rabbits, killed three. Seem to be a few of them around still.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

10. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Msu, I had a similiar shot last week. I played rerun over and over till I drove myself nuts. Went out this morning, no birds but three rabbits and two shots, yea and they won to live another day.

11. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan Spike

Mar 16, 2010
    Well I hunted today. We had a wild flush the first hour in the woods. Couldn't locate bird for a second chance, We located were it went down but Lily couldn't find it again. This is when things went bad, we went over the top of the ridge to drop in the next hollow. I was going straight down the hill and was crossing a tree lap and then I slipped on a slippery branch and all my weigh went forward and heard a pop in my knee as I fell forward down the hill. I laid there for a few minutes to get my composure. I couldn't walk up hill very well but I could go down so I made it to the bottom. The time it took to get to the bottom we had lost lily.. My hunting partner starting walking up the hollow to see if he could find her. I know( tracking collar would have nice) she had been gone to long. Doug made it about 250 yards up the hollow and she was on pt. As he was approaching the bird picked up and flew to the other side but was only up about 20 yards. as he was moving in the bird took off down the hollow with 2 shoots that didn't connect. We moved up the hollow and Lily was getting birdy about 30 yards up from the bottom. As we were walking towards her we had 2 birds fly up the hill off the bottom. without a shot. Let them go and continued up the hollow. We flushed two more birds without a pt or shot. By this time my knee was giving me problems and we worked our way back to the truck. Stopped by my sister-in -law who is a physical therapist and she thinks I tore my MCL. I hope not because I would like to hunt this hollow again. There have been birds in this hollow for a long time and it has been logged several different times in the last 20 yrs. It has everything, old cover and new(5yrs ago). I wish I had my old setter again,(died 12 years ago) my Brittany just doesn't have the woods savy my old dog had. Don't get me wrong, I love Lily but she just not going to make a good grouse dog. The bad thing is I have several spots to hunt but it might be a while before I get back out. 4 hrs hunting and six different birds, not a bad day.

12. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yes definitely a great day, sorry to hear about your knee. My daughter blew her Acl playing soccer. Out of action four months. What kind of cover were you in? Sounds like you are going up hill on these birds? My clearcuts are on top and flat, find most of my birds in te clearcut. Does your Brittany stay close to you if cover is thick?

13. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan Spike

Mar 16, 2010
    This hollow is about 3 miles long and it doesn't have any flat spots except for the bottom and about 20 feet on top of the ridge. It has been clearcut from top to the bottom in several spots throughout the hollow. It has plenty of smaller beech, ferns, oaks, and greenbriar. Most of the cold side of the hollow has the best cover u will ever find. My dog will hunt out usually about 100 yards and work her way back. She minds well and hunts hard but she just hasn't enough bird contact to really make a good grouse dog. Back in the 90's when there were a lot more birds u could give a dog enough opportunitys to learn how to handle these thunder chickens.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  14. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Sounds like a good place. Hunting on the side of a steep holler makes for a difficult shot though I'm sure. What county do you hunt in? I know guys who hunt the pine trees when it snows. We need some cold weather for sure. Not having birds for the dog is a downside, I've been beat several times by birds that won't hold at all. When my GSP gets birdy I look ahead of her to see them running but they won't sit. Several guys here tell me to use a hawk call when she does so it keeps the birds from flying? I'm gonna have to try that soon. Thanks for the info

15. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan Spike

Mar 16, 2010
    I hunt Lewis, Rowan, and Greenup. I use to hunt Mason and Bracken Co's but I have lost most of those places to hunt due to new people owning them now.