2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Oct 29, 2013.

1. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I have put in 4 hours without a grouse flushed. Not looking good, again this year.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Lost 1 cover, but have gained 2 more. 2 consecutive hollers that was clear cut. There may be birds in it now, but it's way to thick for the dog, an especially me.

I didn't fly a bird in the old cover. It usually holds a bird or 2, but I'm afraid it's grown out. The young dog hunted good and had 2 unproductive points. 1 was a squirrel I believe. I seen it in a tree infront of her.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Put in 3 hours in marginal cover today. Got a point on a woodcock out of my old dog. It fluttered off the ridge and dove straight down and landed on the top bench. I left him alone. He's got enough troubles trying to find worms in frozen ground, and a flight to Louisana ahead of him. No grouse seen or heard.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Dunn and I went to Wolfe Co. to hunt with Munson Saturday for 3 or 4 hours. He showed us some of the prettiest and nastiest cover you'll find. We hunted regrowth and rhododendron and shinnied down sandrock cliffs, did it all, but nary a bird. We got a couple of points in some likely places, and the dogs thought something was there, but no flushes recorded.

The beech trees are loaded so there's plenty of food on the ground.

5. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Took a stroll through the local stomping grounds on Saturday. No bird contacts but much much better in the dog department. Starting to think this one may make a dog if handled correctly.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    There is at least one grouse alive and well in East Kentucky.

Got a point in a clearcut me and Dunn have been keeping an eye on. It was logged back in 2009 or thereabouts, and it's thick and hairy, blackberries and saplings all about an inch in diameter, nothing over 12 feet in height. I shot behind the bird a couple of times but it lived to tell the tale. That's the first bird sighting of the season for me.

7. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Damn, that's not good. Makes me not want to venture east.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'd save my time and fuel. It's not looking good.

9. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I've flew 3. They are either in open beech or none around at all.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I found out what happened to those huntin' boots that got left at your old girlfriend's house after the breakup.

boots1n.jpg

Her mother had them bronzed and they're sitting on the mantle.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Well that explains it there's no way you can be quiet enough to sneek up on one with those on. These days you've got to wear sockfeet for you and you're dogs.

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I gotta admit, that is pretty darn funny!

13. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    They should be waterproof now

14. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    Moved 3 and killed 2 on a pre-Christmas hunt when I came home earlier in the week. No more birds than there are, almost felt bad about killing them! Haven't made that hunt in years as I used to do it annually and it didn't take long to remember why. Nothing like jogging home to get off the mountain before dark!

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It's not funny. It's sad and pitiful. People that visit ask about them bronze boots up there, and the poor momma just wells up and can't talk about it. "Was it a death in the family?" they ask. "It might as well have been," she sobs.