2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Oct 29, 2013.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I went out to chase a grudge bird, and flushed another one a quarter mile away that I didnt' know about. The pup ran it up, not sure if she was birdy or if she just blundered through it. Got to the grudge bird's thicket and the old dog got birdy and pointed. Kicked around, nothing came up, and she started circling around, trying to get a trail on it. Never did find it, but next time I'll be looking for two birds instead of just one.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    New one moved in on you. where was your buddy, ole bugger hook??

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Some of us have to work for a living.

Booger hook? More like dead eye. Yea, just refer to me in post as ol dead eye.

I went out yesterday, but never flew nothing. This weekend will wrap it up for me.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Lookie what I found today...

ClearCutbyJerry2-17-14_zpsa2934927.jpg

Popped my head over the ridgetop and was greeted by all this lovely habitat in the making. Probably 25 acres that I could see, probably a lot more than that when I get around to scouting it properly.

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    trust me,
    That is just absolutely beautiful. I just hope they don't come in next and take the mountain top off.

6. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Would love to see that in my backyard

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If they do, that'd be great too. We need the jobs. But it won't. Mining is about finished.

8. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Went this morning, walked 2 clearcuts and 3 hollars. No points or birds. GSP did a great job of pointing up a tree on two squirrels

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

9. grouse408

grouse408 Fawn

Mar 27, 2011
    Salyersville,KY
    believe this is worst season I've had on finding grouse

10. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yea it's dismal. I can't even get on birds in the area that I usually hunt? This warm weather was a factor too, for me, dog and the mysterious grouse. 6.3 miles, hot and exhausted. Time to start work on getting my vulcan ready for the road

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

11. msu_hunter

msu_hunter 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2011
    Took a hike today, not a single bird seen or heard. Gonna hunt tomorrow then get ready for turkey season. Got some bow tuning to do.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

12. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunted for 5 hours, had 4 flushes on 2 birds. Had points on both birds. Both flew away unharmed. Not that my buddy and I didn't try. They won today. My wife said as she looked at my legs and picking a briar out of my ear, how do you say that this is fun. I just grinned.

13. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    With work and the weather, I've managed to hunt about 10 times this season. I've had a total of 8 flushes, 4 birds pointed, and one bird in the bag. All birds showing up in January and February. It's the same story as usual with the bird numbers. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 6 year old setter and a nice 9 mo. old setter with a professional trainer. Although the pup may have trial potential, I normally wouldn't send one off and pay the fees to have one trained but with the way the numbers are and the weather, I think it was a good decision.
    [​IMG]
    9 mo. Long Gone Boston Male

14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Some eye surgery ended my season a little early. All the birds l have taken came in febuary. all were cock birds thankfully. Since the youngest of my setters is 11, I fear some of them my have seen their last season. The oldest one pointed five birds last week though, at fourteen , so who knows.

15. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    I'm taking Thursday and Friday to finish the grouse season. Can't deal with the hot temps. Will let you know

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!