2013-14 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Oct 29, 2013.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I can't get real excited about the opener Friday. The trees are still fully leafed and the temps are going to be on the warm side. I'll get out Saturday with one dog or the other but I'm not expecting the birds to hold yet.

We hunt birds in November and December so we can kill birds in January and February...

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I'd say you probably won't be able to see much even if one runs into some birds. The leaves are still very much green. I'm not sure if I will go. I'm sure Ill change my mind Friday evening though.

I may hit the strips and see if I can run into some quail or woodcock. If I can run into some woodcock, I'll be sure to send our buddy from up north some breakfast in the mail.

3. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    I hunted grouse on a WMA on Sunday. Jumped two, one was a juvenile. The only point was in saplings so thick that all I could here was a flush and didn't see my dog till I was ten feet away.

4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Got out in another state which is open, and had a nice morning. Moved 7 birds in a short two hour hunt, birds were grouped up with a 3 bird point/flush and a 4 bird point/flush. Way too green still, and I never cut a feather. My hunt was cut short by running into a rat snake sunning on the trail, and if they are out the nastier ones will be as well. Also got in the yellow jackets, and got stung about 8 times. Hung my stuff up until mid dec, no reason to fight the bees and snakes with a long season ahead.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I can handle the no-shoulders, but danged if I want to tangle with a bunch of yellerjackets or hornets. They take all the joy out of life.

6. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I'm with you, snakes are fine and I'm not too worried about my dog getting one, I run him all summer and don't worry about that. However yellow jackets are the worst. Also food sources look great lots of grapes this year but all the birds were near white oaks

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    It is a sad day in my group of friends as far as I'm concerned. I spoke with one of our buddies last night who is in his upper 60's. He told me he was probably putting his dogs up for sale. I may be speaking prematurely, but his voice says other wise. His ailing hip an age are getting the best of him. This year was his first in close to 30 years he didn't make the trip north. I suspected this strongly about a month ago, but never realized the reality of it. I never thought of grouse huntin without him in the picture, but...

He was the one that really cut my teeth on chasin grouse. I've spent a many of days in the woods with him and even more away from the woods. Here is to an old soldier....

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Sad day indeed. He was getting it done until last year, and that hip flared up. I owe him a lot.

Roy2-15-1125r.JPG

9. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Ill hunt up the picture of the bird he killed over Andi season before last. I believe that was the last Appalachian bird he killed. He killed it in that small holler to the left on my ol homestead.

10. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    That is sad. I think all of us expect to be pushing through covers well into our Golden Years, but only time will tell. Hopefully he'll reconsider and past memories will bring him back in. That, and his hip gets better (or replaced).

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I put in 4 hours today. Tried 3 short hollers with the pup, hoping to give her a chance at a bird. No grouse seen or heard. Did get one good staunch point on a mudbat. It got a pass.

The pup kept good range, checked in with me the way I like, but the false points are enough to drive me crazy. She points ever ground squirrel and stink bird scent she comes across.

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    20 gauge gun and 12 gauge shells won't work. I'll be back at em tomorrow.

I walked the dog up the holler about 100 yards and turned around. I didn't want to contend with 15 grouse fluttering like woodcock and landing in trees.

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Moved 1 grouse and 2 woodcock today. I had points on the woodcock, but the grouse came up wild from me.

14. handgunner

handgunner Cyber-Hunter

Nov 13, 2002
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    Three woodcock and one grouse. Grouse came up wild. Points on two woodcock. Hunted about three hours

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Got out today for about 4 hours. Hunted a holler with excellent cover that gave up a bird last season, didn't get a grouse flush this time, just some turkeys. But I was hunting the pup so I was handicapped. Still, there should have been at least a wild flush.