2011 zone changes shelved due to backlash from sportsmen????

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by skin_dog1, Dec 18, 2010.

1. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Maybe I missed it here somewhere. Does anyone know if this is true. This was posted over on the QDMA forums:

"Due to all of the backlash from sportsmen around the state, the KDFW today decided to "table" the proposed season changes for 2011. Does not mean it is over, but will be discussed in more detail at the next Commission meeting. The delay is based primarily upon feedback from the town meetings. EHD decimated the herd in a lot of areas in this state 3 years ago and the herd has not recovered nearly as quickly in some portions. Good move on the commission's part to relook at these changes."

2. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Hope they decide to table the issue for good and not follow through with it. Thanks for posting this update on the forum.

3. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    Dave,
    I hope it is true.I think it would be in the best interest of the deer herd in zones 3 and 4 ,especially zone 4 that it be tabled and not brought up again until some dramaitc improvement in the deer herd develops in these 2 areas.I expressed my feelings at the London mtg. and I am not sure it was that well received when they found out that I found out about it on a hunting forum.I know F and W as well as the Commission receives heavy criticism on forums such as this but most times they earn it.I also know they get praised when they do something good.

4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Thanks for the info Dave. Maybe they are listening. It would seem there is a general feeling among deer hunters that the numbers do not seem right. The town hall meetings are a very useful tool to gather information directly from the sportsmen of Kentucky. It would certainly be a shame to discount that knowledge base.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What!!! Do they not realize what they just done!!! What the heck is everyone going to talk about on here now!!!!!! They have just destroyed several good arguments, pissin matches, complaining, griping, etc.

Reckon we can somehow start something about Turkey Season to get a good thread going??

6. BG33

BG33 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2008
    Manchester, Kentucky
    I hope its true. Zone 4 doesn't need an extension on gun season.

7. lexfd

lexfd 6 pointer

Aug 27, 2008
    At peace in a tree
    I had a good talk with comm Glenn a few days back. Very nice man and listened to all my concerns. Thank you Comm Glenn!!! He was very interested in thing I had brought up to him about the areas I hunt and farm. He asked about ehd, poaching,coyotes,ect. He made me feel that they had my and our issues as a top priority. Now I hope they will make moves to help bring #'s back in some areas. Mostly back off the does for a bit in a few areas, like mine ; )

8. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I wonder if this means that their taking a harder look at some of the zone 1 and 2 counties?

9. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I would like to go back to just a couple days to kill does. I hope they do the right thong and glad they are showing some concern and listening to the people who are out there all the time.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'll believe it when I see it.

11. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I hope the report is true and commend the dept for having the town hall meetings. I would like to see them continue.

12. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    Sorry for being the slow one but where could I find info on the proposed season changes? I hunt zone 4 and I hope some changes are in order.

13. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
  14. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    Thanks a bunch

15. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I hope this is true. If so kudos to KYDFW for listening to the sportsmen.