200 Yard Shot/Ballistics App/TC Impact

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by gdb, Sep 14, 2015.

1. gdb

gdb Spike

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Kentucky
    If you got a modern muzzle-loader sighted in at 100 yards with 100 grains of powder, then how many inches would you need to raise it take a deer out at 200 to 215 years? Do I need to shoot 150 grains to make it a more accurate shoot for father distances? Also is there any free ballistics apps you would recommend for questions like this? I was also told since I am shooting a T/C Impact that since it is not a expensive muzzle-loader gun don't waste my time shooting past 150 yards due to the gun not being capable.:confused:

Travis Davis likes this.
  2. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Most powder manufacturers have ballistics charts to show approximate data to answer your question.

The weight of your bullet and what powder you are using will affect your results.

Changing to 150 grains may in fact, hinder your accuracy.

Any data you obtain will really need to be tested in the field to see how your rifle actually performs.

I have a Traditions Yukon that I bought used for $105 delivered, and it will shoot 3 shots touching at 100 yards if I do my job. I have killed past 150 yards with it, but I've burned lots of BH 209 to dial it in.

Good luck this season.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Blackhorn is the ONLY way to go.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  4. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    I gave up on BH last year, after a hangfire cost me a nice buck, broadside at 60 yards. I reloaded and carried the gun around the rest of the morning. When I fired it off at lunch time, it made a "burp" sound and the bullet came out the barrel like it was a spitball. Never had that happen before, and I never will again. Went back to real Goex FFg and it goes "bang" every time. So what if I have to swab between shots? If I'm doing things right, I only need the first one.

5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Are you sure the Blackhorn was to blame?

6. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Well, it's the only powder I've ever had an issue with. I've been shooting ML's for nearly 30 years now, mostly sidelocks. This was in a Traditions Vortek Ultralight. The BH is nice in that it doesn't foul much, but the ignition issue makes it too unreliable for me to use in the field. I'll wait for the next "wonder powder." :)

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

The reason I asked is I've had a misfire on just about every powder I've used over the years. Most of them I can trace back to being out in the rain or maybe not swabbing out my barrel good after having it greased down. Usually it's a damp powder issue for one reason or another but the Blackhorn has definitely out performed every other powder I've used.

8. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    GDB,
    I've been working on the same thing for years. I'm shooting a T/C Pro Hunter and have tried just about everything in the book. I may be expecting too much for a 50 cal muzzleloader, I don't know. So far my best results have been 150 gr 777 with a TMZ 295 gr ballistic tip. I am 1.5" high at 100 yds/3.5" low at 200 yds. Best group I can do is 3-1/2" at 200 yds. Nothing to brag about but that's the best I can do. Spent a lot of $ getting there too. To confirm a previous statement on here, I can lighten the powder load and tighten the group, but I lose velocity and trajectory. It's a trade off from my experiementation.

Getting ready to try the Harvester Crush Rib sabots with the 300gr. Scorpion bullets. Their rep says I'll never switch if I try them. We'll soon find out! :)

Travis Davis likes this.
  9. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I got a CVA optima that I can ring 12" steel at 200 yards very consistently almost never miss. Just because they don't want to put the time into developing a good bullet powder primer combo, don't let them stop you.

Travis Davis likes this.
  10. DocHunter

DocHunter Spike

Jul 10, 2003
    Bardstown, KY.
    Have an elk kill at a legitimate ranged 200 yards with my TC 209x50. Guide didn't think I could make the shot, but we couldn't get any closer. Was using 120 gr. 777 and 300 gr. pointed bullet in sabot. I knew my point of impact was about 6 inches low at 200 yards with the gun sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards.

Travis Davis likes this.
  11. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Sure it can be done (see above responses) if you wish to put in the time, effort, powder, etc to develop the charge-bullet-ignition system combination (but it would have to be verified at the range and any variation in powder charge could produce very different results at that range)...

So far, I have never had to shoot beyond 80 yards (my first deer with my CVA Beartooth/Wolf at Fort Knox)...all other shots have been within 50 yards on deer here in KY...so I have never worried about seeing how far I can shoot it...

12. Travis Davis

Travis Davis Fawn

Dec 31, 2018
    Lawrenceburg
    http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:4

Best one I have found is on Nikon's website. It works pretty well, comparing their charts, to real world shooting has proved it's pretty accurate. Yet, I always verify and shoot at different distances before hunting. Screenshot_20190121-131843_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    As a side note: this site has no listing for anything above 120 grains of powder. Imo: Every single person I have met, that has spent the time at the range to work up the best load, shoots between 90-120 grains of powder. If you look at the charts, there is not much ballistic or energy difference downrange with powder charges. Yet, there are big differences in bullet weights, i.e. heavier bullets vs. lighter bullets. The 300 grain bullets, although seem like overkill, have some of the best downrange ballistic numbers; and, they always shoot the best out of my ML.

gdb likes this.
  13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Get the Tapatalk app and go find modernmuzzloaders. The buckhorn powder requires you use new or modify your breach plug!
    It's a really great site with tones of long range muzzleloader info.