20-21 season thread

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Brsutton86, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Didn't have time to plant but its got water. Just need some harsh weather to bring the birds.

2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Bo the yellow lab remains and just returned inside sopping wet, whereas my dogs preferred to remain inside for now. He is currently nudging his wet head beneath my arm for some attention. He appears to be an old bird dog.

"Sunday Night
    Clear, with a low around 29. North northwest wind 6 to 11 mph."

"The Flood Watch continues for

* Portions of southern Illinois...southwest Indiana...western
    Kentucky and southeast Missouri, including the following areas, in
    southern Illinois, Alexander, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Johnson,
    Massac, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, White and Williamson. In
    southwest Indiana, Gibson, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and
    Warrick. In western Kentucky, Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway,
    Carlisle, Crittenden, Daviess, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman,
    Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, Marshall, McCracken, McLean, Union KY
    and Webster. In southeast Missouri, Butler, Carter, Mississippi,
    New Madrid, Ripley, Scott, Stoddard and Wayne MO.

* Until 1 PM CDT this afternoon

* Heavy rainfall of 2 to 4 inches during the night has left soils
    completely saturated. Additional rainfall amounts of 0.50 to 1.0
    inch will be possible this morning.

* Even relatively small amounts of rainfall could cause flooding
    issues due to current saturated soil conditions."

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Passed a pond not long ago, spying myself geese lined up in a row along the bank, but only briefly, being that I was traveling at approximately 60mph and trees quickly obscured my view. Decided they must be decoys, but while in route back home, they were no longer there. Pulled into my driveway, got out of the car and instantly heard honking down in the lower field, deciding my spied decoys must have simply flown one mile to here, lol...:rolleyes:

Calling my optometrist, momentarily, in order to finally order my driving glasses.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Lumen likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    "October 2020 Climate Summary

October finished wetter than normal and slightly cooler than normal. Click here for full details.

Overview and Graphics

October 2020 Climate Review: Temperatures finished slightly below normal for the month. As is typically the case during the Fall season, we experienced our fair share of ups and downs. Paducah and Evansville both observed 7 days reaching 80 degrees, which was right near what you would normally expect in October. Freezing temperatures occurred across portions of the area on October 5th and 16th, while the entire region experienced frost. The October 5th sub-freezing temperatures were nearly two weeks earlier than normal for those that experienced them, including Cape Girardeau, MO and Mount Vernon, IL. Paducah and Evansville both remained above freezing for those events.

October finished excessively wet across the region. After drought conditions were worsening through mid month, we ended up finishing as the 2nd wettest October on record in Paducah, 4th wettest in Cape Girardeau, and 9th wettest in Evansville. Most of the area finished the month between 5 and 9 inches of rain (2 to 5 inches above normal). The highest observed amount was 9.53” at the NWS Paducah office. It was hard to believe after the 11th driest start to October on record through the 18th in Evansville (0.10”) and Paducah (0.31”), and 7th driest start in Cape Girardeau (0.12”). We instantly flipped the faucet on though and the final 11 days of the month were the wettest end to October on record across the region. We observed the heaviest rains on October 19, 28, and 29. During a 12 day stretch from October 18 through 29, Paducah and Evansville both recorded measurable rain on 9 of those days. It was quite the gloomy stretch, which fortunately ended and gave us a bright sunny end to the month on Halloween.

The graphic below is an interpolated rainfall map using actual observations. Please note that there are likely discrepancies in between observations, since the values are estimated based on nearest reports."

https://www.weather.gov/pah/October2020ClimateSummary

HeadedWest likes this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    And sweet Bo the yellow lab must have finally found his master at home today, being that he has yet to return from this afternoon. I shall miss him and hope that he is finally taken to the vet. Good old hunting dog in great need.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  6. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Been dead on here. Everyone ready to roll? Scouted yesterday and was a bust. Didn’t plan to see many ducks. More to see if water was holding in a few holes. Scouted this morning and had 4 mallards come in to the ol reliable pond. Not impressed but it will do.

7. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
  8. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Couple of my buds couldn't make the Ark. opener so I didn't go. Hate my pit will be empty but we will go next week sometime.

9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    If we leave now we can still make.

10. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    First sunrise of my 20/21 season. 89F1F43B-DA36-4D8E-A985-41A9520EDC1D.jpeg

HeadedWest likes this.
  11. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Couple East KY Youth pics! We picked up a few woodies and gw teal.
    upload_2020-11-21_14-41-40.jpeg

upload_2020-11-21_14-42-22.jpeg

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Glad I had a good teal season, my regular season is pretty much over before it even gets started. Hunt 2 days when I first get off, the head to Ft. Lauderdale for two weeks of class. Come back to work for 5 weeks, get off Jan 27th, hopefully squeeze in a few days, then prep course for 500grt/3000itc masters for 20 days then back to work

13. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    We agreed to give it a try for an hour this morning after yesterdays supper slow start. Gad we went and wish we had more time this morning. He already said he wants to stay longer next time. CCC43ECD-7FD5-4049-8007-15BC8A64668F.jpeg

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Im ready. Binds done decoys ready.