20-21 season thread

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Brsutton86, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Heard tell birds are everywhere. Too little too late.

Giveem3outdoors, Nock and NOCAMST like this.
  2. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Huh. We get a little weather and they are here? No way. I thought it was DU's fault, heated corn fields, and too many refuge's that was the reason for no birds.

Giveem3outdoors, Bee and NOCAMST like this.
  3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Since season is over, heated cornfields turned off. Errything locked up tighter than a puckered sphincter.

Froze hot crops brings birds down. Blame du for not running ice eaters to accommodate the narrative.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Another former jr killer ditch sneaked 14 snows. We set up on a wheat field the next day. Ran a small group of snows off when we were setting up. They came back before we were ready.

Then had a big flock of specs come over with two snows that broke out to check us out. Landed about 200 yards away. They slipped in and got one of them.

Capttrae and Rod S. like this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Very large migrating north flock of geese just flew overhead here within X-WKY. Not good enough to have recognized their calls just yet, but I do not believe them to have been Canadians. I've become pretty good at recognizing their calls. They were on up there in altitude, but not too high and in v-shape formation, dark. Heard them coming from a distance and then watched them going. They have long reached the river.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Just heard quite a few more geese then spotted only two flying low over the trees. Canadians.

7. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Went for a ride this morning. Tons of ducks and canada's.

Nock likes this.
  8. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I'm sure you meant Canadians !! :p:p:p

9. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Drives me nuts when they call them Canadians even dr.duck does it.

Meatstick likes this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Don't be so sure; he may have meant to write Brandagas Canadensis. Personally, I prefer to simply refer to them as Crazy Canucks. My father and I saw a few ducks flying by not long thereafter, too! :p

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    They ever so rudely awakened me and prior to 6am, as well; probably more like a blooming 5:30am and surely skimming treetops, the crazy canucks. It was still dark, and I'm still asleep but have been reading about all ever since then. I want to learn how to distinguish their calls, without actually seeing them. This was of no assistance and only served to prevent further sleep.

https://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/identification-of-cackling-and-canada-goose/

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    ^... did bother figuring out how Mr. Sibley knows so much, though. He happens to be an ornithologist, as well as the son of one, too. Great writer and decent illustrator, as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allen_Sibley

Nice website Mr. Sibley has created. Merely based upon that map out of Oregon in which he included with my previous post's link to his website, it seems that most of the various types of Crazy Canucks flying through here would be of both the maxima and interior sub-species, but I do not know how old that map may be nor whether my theory happens to be true. Must consult with local WMA biologist.

Mr. Sibley recently wrote an article about distinguishing the different sandhill cranes, publishing it within his blog section. Being that some of you men have an interest in them, some may find that of interest. The man knows his stuff.

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Several working our new temporary pond at work yesterday. I was up on the roof and could see long way. Lots of birds just couldn’t make up there minds where to land. To many options.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  14. Mya’sdaddy

Mya’sdaddy Fawn

Dec 25, 2019
    Bowling Green
    Hunted Fair Oaks, Arkansas Saturday seen couple 10’s thousands. Couldn’t get much working. Killed 3
    Hunted Fisher, Arkansas killed 28. The amount of snows migrating back up was unbelievable. I’d be afraid to put a number on it but I’d say we seen at least 200k. Ducks where also moving with the geese north bound. Got a text that Monday the switch was turned off and not many birds in the area.

Giveem3outdoors and Rod S. like this.
  15. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.

That's a good weekend hunt for the hardest bird to decoy.