Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, May 1, 2016.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Got a nice bird this morning. Should have been a double!!! I felt so bad for him. This was our first time hunting together, and his first chance to go this year. We were in birds all morning. We changed locations, and I saw him jack a shell in the chamber. Slipped down a fence row and setup. I call, and get an immediate gobble. Call again, and answer. Two birds came in a string, and the one on his side was the boss. On 3!.... 1-2-bang, but only one bang. His gun didn't jack a shell in the chamber. At first I thought I had screwed him over and he didn't hear me count. He said he pulled the trigger 5 times lol. Finally jacked a round in and shot, but the bird was too far by then. We'll double up next time bud. 11.5" heavy beard, 1" spurs. 4 minutes from first call to shot. A turkey hunter needs some luck like that every now and then.

IMG_2671.jpg

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Congrats. Thats how it goes sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

3. Stickem15

Stickem15 Fawn

Mar 24, 2016
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    birds

I called in a bird for a friend a week ago Sunday, that wound up being 3 birds. I was setup behind him, so no way I could shoot without killing his ear. A bird about like the one I killed yesterday strolled in to 20 yards, fanned out and looked dead at him. Nothing between them but air. He pulled the trigger and "click". He has a new SBE2, and fiddled around with switches and things on the gun, pulled the trigger a couple of more times. Bird just stands there staring. He finally told me to "shoot that $%#@." I said "I can't, I'll blow your ear drum out." Bird just stands there. I finally told him to shuck another shell. He reaches up, jacks a shell in, and shoots the bird. This took over a minute to play out, and all 3 birds just stood there. Can't believe that happened. I've never been on a hunt before where someone had a misfire, and had two on successive Sunday mornings. When he loaded his gun, he slid the action back far enough to put a shell in the chamber. I've been told a SBE will not fire if you do that, and I saw it happen.

5. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    The famous Benelli click. Have to slam em shut. It's crazy how birds act so differently sometimes. Those odd stories are usually memorable hunts though.

6. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    Couldn't agree more!