2 year old beagle help

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hodges, Mar 2, 2013.

1. hodges

hodges 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    kentucky
    I'm kinda new with rabbit hunting I got a 2 year old beagle And I was wondering if you could train more on a dog that is 2 years old ik its better to at younger age but can you mine can hunt some needs some work but I was wondering if you bought a 2 year old dog that hadent Been taught to hunt rabbits yet could he be taught? And can y'all give me some tips on teaching mine more?

2. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

I have had beagles all my life. All were great pets but not all of hem had a natural drive to hunt. Not sure if you can but if I were looking for a hunting dog I would at least want to test drive any 2 year old dog I was looking at. They can learn alot of bad tricks in 2 years.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'd definitely want a test drive solo, and then with a couple other dogs. Don't overwhelm him with a bunch of other dogs. If he's got it in him, he will show solo, and with a couple others.

4. hodges

hodges 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    kentucky
    Alright thanks, but my main question is can a dog at 2years old be trained the same as a pup or once there don that old can you not teach them nutting more

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    if he's got it in him, 2 years don't matter. might have some habits to break, but if he's got it in him to hunt, you just gotta expose him to as many chases and opportunities as you can. good luck. not much more fun than running beagles. if you're interested, dad bred his good red male to a good red registered female. both very good dogs. should make some great dogs. don't know what the guy is gonna ask for the pups, but the parents are both really good dogs. pups be born in about 5-6 more weeks.

6. Stewart Kennels

Stewart Kennels Fawn

Feb 15, 2013
    Muhlenberg County
    A 2 year old can still get better. A good rabbit dog doesn't reach full potential until around 5 years old. From about 4 months old they can start and up until 4 or 5 they will still make a lot of mistakes on average. Some are better than others. 5 years old they have seen about every scenario they can so they are better about holding a good line and not making a lot of losses. I have seen dogs that have not been hunted until they were around two and turned loose on the farm and they will take off on their own. Just hunt them as much as you can and the more rabbit trails they are on the better they are. Some are a lot different on speed and hunt though. That is usually entirely up to how they have been bred. This is according to my experiences.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The simple answer is yes a two year old beagle hound can still turn into a rabbit hound. We've taken two year old beagles that were house dogs and made them rabbit dogs. The best advice I can give you is that the hound won't make a rabbit hound in the kennel. You've got to put him in rabbits.

I'm not sure if you just got the dog or have had him for a while but first and foremost make sure the hound has been properly socialized. The dog needs to feel totally comfortable around you so when its time to put him in the rabbits he will understand that he hunts with you and not that you hunt with him or follow him around. There's nothing more frustrating than a dog that will not handle.

Next, I would find a sapling thicket and cut a walking stick about 6 to 8 foot long. You can use the stick to beat the brush when looking for rabbits to put the hound on. Make sure you don't get too crazy whooping the brush as to scare the hound in to the next county. I would start taking the dog out for about 2-3 hours a day to places I knew rabbits frequented. At first you might have to get in the brush and kind of coax the hound in with you. This is where the socialization will come in to play. It will be easier to get him to follow you if you've made friends with him.

Just keep walking around beating the brush and eventually you'll jump a rabbit. Ideally the dog will immediately open up on the track but sometimes it doesn't happen that easy. If he seems a little confused just keep walking him over the track. This should pique his interest. Don't get frustrated just keep him in rabbits. Hundreds and hundreds of years of breeding is a powerful force on a hound. He'll eventually open on the track.

The last and perhaps absolute best advice I can give you is that Rome wasn't built in a day. As a houndsman your job is to recognize that that dog has potential. He is a fallow field waiting to be cultivated. He has the potential to make a rabbit hound but you have to figure out the best way (considering his personality) to bring out his natural abilities. Working hounds can be frustrating at times but very rewarding, too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. hodges

hodges 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    kentucky
    Ok thanks all y'all the last one gave me my answer know all I need is more tips to training him I got him about 2 weeks ago the guy I got him from said his 1st year he wasent hunted and this 2nd year he has been some but needs some work still and he said he would run decent with other dogs

9. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Swamp Beagler should write a book on this stuff. He's like a beagle-specific John Wick. Where are you located at Hodges?

10. hodges

hodges 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    kentucky
    Barren County, and my other problem is I don't have no where to rabbit hunt all our farms is cleaned up for cattle

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Actually, GrouseAssasin I've been considering compiling my thoughts, opinions, experiences and screw ups in a book. I've had articles published over the years and had a few make The Rabbit Hunter magazine. Time gets away from me nowadays is my "go to" excuse when someone mentions me getting back to writing. These little hounds have taught me a lot about myself over the years. They have taught me more than I could ever attempt to teach them. But I digress...

Hodges, do the farms you have access to have any dozer piles or grown up brush piles? Rabbits are breeding right now which tends to make them congregate. So, if you have any conducive rabbitat at all now would be a good time to see if you can jump any rabbits. You just need to keep an eye out to make sure the hound doesn't start running down your baby rabbits and killing them. This will screw you up come hunting season. Right now rabbits are worth more to you alive rather than dead.

If your farms are totally cleaned up then now might be a good time to start knocking on doors since hunting season is over until spring turkey. I would approach people by saying you wanted know if they'd mind you "running your beagle hound" on their place. You can get access to ground easier when you approach them about running dogs rather than hunting rabbits. If you get access show them you are responsible and then approach them about hunting later if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013