2 Turkeys in one shot??

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by chasmck3, Oct 27, 2009.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

Whats keeping you from pleading guilty after receiving a summons any more than you would if you were cited? No difference as far as I can tell. Plead and pay it like you were going to with a citation. What changed?

2. chasmck3

chasmck3 Spike

Dec 20, 2008
    Lexington
    Yes, everything was legal. Hunting on land where I worked and live so I didn't need a license or permit but had license anyway and then felt guilty afterwards and purchased a stamp anyway. I will tell all when this is finally over.

3. chasmck3

chasmck3 Spike

Dec 20, 2008
    Lexington
    Cannot answer that right now but will when this is all over.

4. Rara08

Rara08 Fawn

Aug 15, 2009
    Muhlenberg ky
    Sorry

I dont post much just read mostly but Sorry about your MISHAP a mistake is just that. If a person hunts turkeys long enough things like that may happen but try to keep it to a minimum. Had the same thing happen several years ago birds were hammering and here one came topped the little rise in the woods on our farm I shoot kill him and there is another one flopping (One was directly behind the other never seen it). Ended up tagging both but thats the differences in wardens there are some level headed ones out there and then there arent. espicially since you called them they should have given ya a break. I have seen first hand (not to me but the way a certain one acts . Not trying to bash but not everyone is out there trying to do bad and he gives that impression when ya meet him)although he is a good warden other wise. That kind of person will make usually law abiding hunters not want to call if a mistake is made. CAse in point. I dont agree with poaching but I think you make an honest mistake and they handled it wrong. hope it works out I hope judge will throw it out.

5. Supafuzz87

Supafuzz87 Spike

Jan 4, 2010
    Knott Co.
    buddy of mine shot 2 with one shot back a few years ago. he said he thought he was doing the right thing by calling them and letting them know. if i ever do that,, calling it in would be the last thing i would do. they laid the hammer down on him. fined him $500 i think and took his hunting license for a year. although the wardens here in knott co are a pain in the butt.

Marty C.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. HuntKY21685

HuntKY21685 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Wow im turkey hunting for the first time this year and so far ive learned that if i make a honest mistake im not reporting it cuz i dont want the hammer laid down on me with court, fines, and loosing my liscense for a year over something that was a complete and honest fluke mistake.

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY

I don't understand this??? You didn't need the turkey permit, you went and spent 30 bucks on it anyway?

8. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    He probably had the permit so he could hunt other areas during the season but this particular hunt he was on his own private ground where he didn't need it.

9. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    hmmmm, that not what he said. He stated that "he didn't need a tag, but felt 'guilty' afterwords and then went and purchased one"

I don't know, but when I am hunting legally, I seldom if ever feel 'guilty' afterwords

10. gobbl4me

gobbl4me 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2005
    Lyon Co.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm.

11. trapnfool

trapnfool 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2005
    webster county
    Call me a criminal!

If I was in this situation. I wouldn't of told anyone much less a good percentage of Ky's hunters and obviously game wardens that I accidently shot 2 turkeys in one shot. I would have called one in then another the next day. No court appearances or anything would have followed!

12. WKYHNTR

WKYHNTR 8 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Muhlenberg
    What he said, honest mistake! I know we should make sure we have open shooting lanes but **** happens. We all get caught up in the moment and take bad shots sometimes, I know I have and most hunters have too. We get excited and make mistakes, human nature. If you were speeding on a road and seen a cop on the side parked and slowed down and he didn't pull you over would you stop and say "Officer I'm really sorry but I was speeding back there"

I hope this works out for you, I hate it for ya.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  13. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    He went and purchased a "stamp" afterwards. He already had the tag. I see your point though.

My guess is he bought the sportsmen with all the tags (deer and turkey), went turkey hunting on his own ground (so he didn't legally need the tag) and didn't buy the stamp until afterwards.

I don't think any of us know the whole story so lets give him the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake. I'm sure everyone here has made mistakes while hunting. Hindsight is 20/20 when you are not in the situation. Shoulda/Coulda/Woulda doesn't help the matter much right now.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    What is this stamp of which you speak? I'm not a turkey hunter, but I thought all you needed was a license and a turkey permit, or a Sportsman's which covers it all. If he was a landowner, or tenant farmer, he doesn't need the permit??? The only stamps I'm aware of are trout stamps and duck stamps.

15. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Elitist Bowhunter

Feb 17, 2004
    at the Elite Level
    Why not just be sure of your target AND what's behind it and you won't ever have to worry about an "honest" mistake.