#2 is my biggest bird to date and he made me work for it.

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
Decided to hit my uncles place today about noon. It's always produced and been full of birds but ya gotta scale a mountain and I'm not as young as I used to be. Walked to the top and was on the back side of the ridge. Grown up logging roads on one side and across the ridge line is a bench that has short green fields with green grass roads between them and had been logged and pretty open. I topped the ridge and heard two birds fire off about 200 yards out the ridge. I walked down to the bench and gave a few calls waited about 45 minutes and they weren't closing the distance. So I started towards them. One opening to the next was about150 yards away and I caught movement. I dropped to the ground because I was wide open. Nothing big to get to without getting busted so I belly crawled to a small tree.i called they gobbled and strut. This goes on for over two hours. Finally they start cutting the distance and drop down in a small holler in the curve between us. I finally slide around the front of the tree. Legs asleep and aching I try to figure where they are gonna pop up and get aimed in that direction. It has been silent for about 20 minutes. I give a few small yelps and he sounds off to my left just below the break. I turn that direction and finally he pops up. Let him come out from behind a log and let him have it. 51 yards, head like a grape fruit, 10 1/2 beard 4 inches wide like a paint brush, 1 1/2 inch hooks, 28 lbs . My biggest bird ever. View attachment 99974 View attachment 99975 View attachment 99976 View attachment 99977 View attachment 99978
I call them chuckleheads. They have a diff gobble too. Great turkey btw

EasyE

6 pointer
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
No one could understand how painful turkey hunting can be on the body until they live it. When it ends like that it’s all worth it. Congrats.
My son and I have had this conversation many times. There’s no way to explain it either only a real turkey hunter knows what your talking about. Most of his friends only hunt out of blinds, and he tells them all the time”get out of that blind and get busy”. For us blinds are a place to get out of the weather for a little bit.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
My son and I have had this conversation many times. There’s no way to explain it either only a real turkey hunter knows what your talking about. Most of his friends only hunt out of blinds, and he tells them all the time”get out of that blind and get busy”. For us blinds are a place to get out of the weather for a little bit.
I was in a horrible position and had hens directly in front of me at twenty yards and the tom was hanging way back. Being in the wide open I couldn’t move a muscle. I was hurting so bad and after an eternity the Tom walked in front of my barrel and I just collapsed after the shot. You are right… being in a blind is nothing to compare to being eye to eye with them.

Latest posts