2 geese 2 bands

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by BurleyDog, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BurleyDog

BurleyDog 10 pointer

Jul 4, 2007
    I know that shooting a resident goose with a band isn't that big of a deal. But the dog earned his bragging rights again today. I shot a goose at about 20 yards but didn't kill it outright. Instead it kinda half sailed, half fell so I shot him once more but still didn't close the deal. At this point Burley is still sitting in his spot but barking so (with an empty gun and out of range anyway) I sent him on the retrieve. The goose was in bad shape when Burley reached him but dove right before Burley could get him. Burley swam in a tight circle for a while, then the goose reappeared. He furiously swam after the goose but again right as he was reaching it the bird dove. This time though the dog went after it resurfacing a moment later with the bird in his mouth and the banded leg waving above his head.

I was tickled with this performance and the upcoming roast goose (and I was late for work) so I decided to pack it in. As soon as I had the duck decoys picked up I heard a goose call. I ran back to the bank and hid, loudly whispered for the dog to sit and no sooner had we both gotten settled then a group of 3 geese came into the decoys. I stoned the first one dead and sent Burley on the retrieve. Another bird, another band!

Gotta love good dog work! :)

[​IMG]

2. Gooseky

Gooseky Fawn

Dec 31, 2009
    good lookin dog and congrats on the jewerly

3. olducker

olducker 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Chandler IN
    GREAT Job Burley ;)

4. Bobcatt

Bobcatt 6 pointer

Dec 24, 2009
    pond river bottoms
    so.......the band goes on the dogs collar,right?:) nice job on the blackfeet!!!

5. FowlerHowler

FowlerHowler 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2005
    Wigeasy
    Nothing can make you more proud them see him put in all the hard work that you taught him and bring a good retrieve together. Nice job and congratulations.

6. quakhead13

quakhead13 Spike

Jun 3, 2008
    mercer co ,kentucky
    awsome wish u would rub some of that luck off on me !