2 buck limit

littletom

8 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
Knob Lick, Ky
I think a 2 buck limit wouldn't mean everyone is going to go shoot little deer but if it's legal then why not. The deer are not here for trophys.but I think a 2 buck limit in zone one and zone 2 wouldn't help the deer numbers. I still think we need earn a buck system. You buy your regular tags,let's say you get a buck tag and 2 doe tags. After you fill all three tags you get another antletered tag
You can't do that with telacheck. You can feel those doe tags in the parking lot of wal-mart while eating donuts with the kids.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
I think someone mentioned this already but I thought it was a pretty decent idea. If the insurance companies want more deer shot and so does KDFW, then why not have the insurance companies put out an incentive. Like for every 3 doe you tag you get so much off your 6 month premium. I know without telechek it would be kinda hard to prove, but I am sure they can come up with a way. And still keep the 1 buck rule.
This would never work because PETA and other activist groups would destroy the insurance companies in the media. I can just imagine them calling such a program "blood money" or some such nonsense.

shaman

10 pointer
We need to encourage more Amish to move to Zone 1 counties. They are good at population control

What sort of bag limit are we talking? How much do they usually dress out at?

Years ago, I was hunting over by Hocking Hills in SE Ohio. For several seasons there was a sign on RT 56 advertising Amish Butter. I always wondered how many Amish they put into it to make it authentic.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
Kentucky is a Top 5 state for big whitetails and is trending rapidly toward being #1. Yes... let's change something. In fact let's change the #1 factor within the control of the KDFWR that has had the most to do with the state's meteoric rise as a top whitetail state. This is clearly a great idea based upon solid reasoning, common sense and understanding of human nature. It only stands to reason that by killing more bucks we will have more older bucks. I can't understand why someone didn't think of this sooner. Congrats.

bondhu

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
Kentucky is a Top 5 state for big whitetails and is trending rapidly toward being #1. Yes... let's change something. In fact let's change the #1 factor within the control of the KDFWR that has had the most to do with the state's meteoric rise as a top whitetail state. This is clearly a great idea based upon solid reasoning, common sense and understanding of human nature. It only stands to reason that by killing more bucks we will have more older bucks. I can't understand why someone didn't think of this sooner. Congrats.
Dam EB1 woohhsaww woohhsaww:) Hey out of those 20+ bucks in the sow beans you tagged out yet?

shaman

10 pointer
Dang, maybe we can do the same thing with these Amish critters. Only one with a beard, and take an unlimited number of ones in dresses and short pants. Pretty soon we'll have the best herd of Amish in the state, and the Insurance companies will be angry 'cuz of all the buggies clogging the roads.

. . . On second thought. Maybe that's not such a good idea. Best to leave well enough alone.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
Dam EB1 woohhsaww woohhsaww:) Hey out of those 20+ bucks in the sow beans you tagged out yet?
Haven't hunted a single time and I probably won't hunt that particular farm you are talking about anyway. That farm will mostly be hunted by friends and family and it hasn't been hunted yet because the corn isn't cut so its hard to get to where you need to be. No it's looking more and more like I will not hunt much if at all until prerut. I'm not fighting this heat and then next week when the weather is predicted to turn I have some friends coming in to hunt so I will be fooling with them. That is OK though. I never get to hunt much so I am used to it. I killed a good one last year so if all I do this year is get a few other people on nice deer that is OK.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
Just think: If we introduce Amish into Zone 1 and keep a 1-Bearded limit, then within a generation we might have a herd of Amish that rivals Ohio and Pennsylvania!!! I say we start trapping them right away.
Best thing about this is that we will definitely not have to worry about scent control...

Mxcmxc

6 pointer
Dec 3, 2016
Just sit back and think about it for a minute. I bet there are more buck shot that don't get tagged. People prolly kill 2 to 3 bucks a year and nobody has any idea. I think if they want to give another buck tag then they should make all out of state hunters draw to hunt here that way they can limit the amount of out of state hunters. Or make the extra buck tag a earn a buck where u have to kill 3 or more does before u can get it. There is ways to make it work.
Man I sure would be disappointed if I had to draw a tag to hunt the farm I purchased in Kentucky.

Drewbays

Fawn
Nov 29, 2016
Hi, my name is Ray. I am new to posting on the forum but do visit pretty often. Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on a 2 buck limit in maybe certain zones. I know a lot of people are stuck on the 1 buck limit and I may get blasted for bringing it up. Lol
To start with I moved here from Georgia a few years ago (y'all can give me a hard time for that). My wife and I bought a small farm in zone 1 and absolutely love it here but one of the few regulations that bothers me is the 1 buck limit. I know a lot of people will say that's why there's so many deer and good bucks in Ky but I would disagree for the most part. I think it's more about the farm land, genetics, much lower human population and shorter rifle season. From hunting my whole life in Georgia and now here, Ive seen it on both sides of the fence. We had a 1 week shorter season than ky, a 2 buck limit and a few months of rifle season so it has been a pretty big change from what I was used too. In my opinion the length of season in both states are way too long, most people are done around Christmas. I like the shorter rifle season but would like to see about a month in Kentucky. Ok, back to the 2 buck limit. I've noticed here in zone 1, we have a lot of deer. I've seen other posts about overpopulation and increasing doe harvest, etc in areas like zone 1. But around here I've noticed that the buck to doe ratio would be almost even. Our farmers complain about the deer numbers and want a lot of does shot but what he doesn't realize that a lot of them are bucks and there's not much you can do about that. We have a lot of good bucks but not many really good ones. There's a ton of young bucks and culls. I have thought about several scenarios for a 2 buck limit that would work without hurting quality of bucks. So, here's my thoughts. Have a 2 buck limit in certain zones like zone 1 that have a lot of deer, you could also adjust the 2 buck limit each year for certain zones like we do now for does and season lengths. Have it to where the first buck could be anything and the second buck has to have 4 points or better on one side. Also you could only do this with residents only to keep things under control, keep the 1 buck limit for none residents and zones with low deer numbers. Maybe even have it where you have to purchase the 2nd buck tag separately. Me personally, I would hunt 1 big buck and one cull buck each year. Just some ideas to think about.
Ok, I'm done ranting. Give me some thoughts or ideas on this, or you can give me hell about it. Haha
Ok I see what your saying but don't let the 1 buck rule pull you astray we have an unlimited doe harvest plan and opportunity you can apply for quota hunts where you can take an extra buck we are in the top 5 states for the opportunity to take a trophy buck and I see a lot of quality deer and I've hunted states where you could take 4 bucks and what a mess and poor quality of animals I'd like to see where the buck has to be outside the ears myself to save some of the smaller bucks if you live in Kentucky try buying an Indiana tag Ohio tag and use that as your extra bucks I would imagine that a lot of hunters don't even know what a cull buck is and a lot of small deer would pay the price.

Drewbays

Fawn
Nov 29, 2016
The biggest top 2 things I wish would change 1. Stop please stop the outfitters coming in here,it's fine if you have a hunt club and members etc. but the outfitters who come in and take local farmers and have them charge a regular guy thousands of dollars to hunt needs to be banished it's a crime. It's fine if a farmer needs some help or may take a bit of money but I've seen some outrageous fees for next to nothing in what you pay for. 2. More education in Hunting etiquette it's funny when I see some guy flip out because your shooting at (his deer) I've got a guy who owns a bit more land than I do in the back of my place and he looses his mind if I shoot a nice buck and he does everything he can to ruin my hunting it's ashame and should be stopped and have a better understanding of hunting and sharing

bwb

Fawn
Sep 4, 2017
Versailles
Hi, my name is Ray. I am new to posting on the forum but do visit pretty often. Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on a 2 buck limit in maybe certain zones. I know a lot of people are stuck on the 1 buck limit and I may get blasted for bringing it up. Lol
To start with I moved here from Georgia a few years ago (y'all can give me a hard time for that). My wife and I bought a small farm in zone 1 and absolutely love it here but one of the few regulations that bothers me is the 1 buck limit. I know a lot of people will say that's why there's so many deer and good bucks in Ky but I would disagree for the most part. I think it's more about the farm land, genetics, much lower human population and shorter rifle season. From hunting my whole life in Georgia and now here, Ive seen it on both sides of the fence. We had a 1 week shorter season than ky, a 2 buck limit and a few months of rifle season so it has been a pretty big change from what I was used too. In my opinion the length of season in both states are way too long, most people are done around Christmas. I like the shorter rifle season but would like to see about a month in Kentucky. Ok, back to the 2 buck limit. I've noticed here in zone 1, we have a lot of deer. I've seen other posts about overpopulation and increasing doe harvest, etc in areas like zone 1. But around here I've noticed that the buck to doe ratio would be almost even. Our farmers complain about the deer numbers and want a lot of does shot but what he doesn't realize that a lot of them are bucks and there's not much you can do about that. We have a lot of good bucks but not many really good ones. There's a ton of young bucks and culls. I have thought about several scenarios for a 2 buck limit that would work without hurting quality of bucks. So, here's my thoughts. Have a 2 buck limit in certain zones like zone 1 that have a lot of deer, you could also adjust the 2 buck limit each year for certain zones like we do now for does and season lengths. Have it to where the first buck could be anything and the second buck has to have 4 points or better on one side. Also you could only do this with residents only to keep things under control, keep the 1 buck limit for none residents and zones with low deer numbers. Maybe even have it where you have to purchase the 2nd buck tag separately. Me personally, I would hunt 1 big buck and one cull buck each year. Just some ideas to think about.
Ok, I'm done ranting. Give me some thoughts or ideas on this, or you can give me hell about it. Haha
You are in zone one if it's not a big buck you're just shooting it to kill it so shoot does

Latest posts