2 buck limit

Ray

Fawn
Apr 17, 2016
Hi, my name is Ray. I am new to posting on the forum but do visit pretty often. Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on a 2 buck limit in maybe certain zones. I know a lot of people are stuck on the 1 buck limit and I may get blasted for bringing it up. Lol
To start with I moved here from Georgia a few years ago (y'all can give me a hard time for that). My wife and I bought a small farm in zone 1 and absolutely love it here but one of the few regulations that bothers me is the 1 buck limit. I know a lot of people will say that's why there's so many deer and good bucks in Ky but I would disagree for the most part. I think it's more about the farm land, genetics, much lower human population and shorter rifle season. From hunting my whole life in Georgia and now here, Ive seen it on both sides of the fence. We had a 1 week shorter season than ky, a 2 buck limit and a few months of rifle season so it has been a pretty big change from what I was used too. In my opinion the length of season in both states are way too long, most people are done around Christmas. I like the shorter rifle season but would like to see about a month in Kentucky. Ok, back to the 2 buck limit. I've noticed here in zone 1, we have a lot of deer. I've seen other posts about overpopulation and increasing doe harvest, etc in areas like zone 1. But around here I've noticed that the buck to doe ratio would be almost even. Our farmers complain about the deer numbers and want a lot of does shot but what he doesn't realize that a lot of them are bucks and there's not much you can do about that. We have a lot of good bucks but not many really good ones. There's a ton of young bucks and culls. I have thought about several scenarios for a 2 buck limit that would work without hurting quality of bucks. So, here's my thoughts. Have a 2 buck limit in certain zones like zone 1 that have a lot of deer, you could also adjust the 2 buck limit each year for certain zones like we do now for does and season lengths. Have it to where the first buck could be anything and the second buck has to have 4 points or better on one side. Also you could only do this with residents only to keep things under control, keep the 1 buck limit for none residents and zones with low deer numbers. Maybe even have it where you have to purchase the 2nd buck tag separately. Me personally, I would hunt 1 big buck and one cull buck each year. Just some ideas to think about.
Ok, I'm done ranting. Give me some thoughts or ideas on this, or you can give me hell about it. Haha

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
I would have to say I disagree with your thinking. I am a firm believer that the one buck helps out our quality of bucks. But heck I'm also a believer that in most areas of ky. A "cull" buck is nothing more than an excuse for you to kill a 2 yr old deer and not be embarrassed to tell your buddy's about it. Kill the does in zone 1. That buck can live 3 years and it will just be him that doe could bring 3 heck maybe even 6 more little crop eaters into the world in 3 years. I don't believe you'll ever effectively manage a deer herd on a typical ky farm by shooting "cull bucks". And alot of those " cull bucks" go on to grow into good deer because when you've got one tag your picky about what you shoot. I feel the term cull is often times used very loosely to justify shooting bucks that were not up to face book picture standards.

allseasonhunter

6 pointer
Feb 2, 2010
If the 1 buck rule is the sole or main determining factor for the good quality deer KY produces what is your explanation for states such as Illinois which has a 2 buck limit. And don't tell me it's because they don't gun hunt the rut there because they do. I've hunted there for years.

allseasonhunter

6 pointer
Feb 2, 2010
If the 1 buck rule is the sole or main determining factor for the good quality deer KY produces what is your explanation for states such as Illinois which has a 2 buck limit. And don't tell me it's because they don't gun hunt the rut there because they do. I've hunted there for years.
And before I get blasted I do not have an opinion on this matter of either staying 1 or going to 2.

Monster01

8 pointer
Dec 9, 2013
And u would kill two , 2 yearold eight pointers . prolly a "big" 6 .
I want an archery buck tag.
I really wish all adult buck tags were 4 points on side. Youth should always be whatever .
Wonder if youth can kill a doe in zone 4 with a rifle? They should be allowed.
Thats prolly why there so many meth head teanagers down here cuase they couldnt kill a deer as a youth.

Monster01

8 pointer
Dec 9, 2013
I would have to say I disagree with your thinking. I am a firm believer that the one buck helps out our quality of bucks. But heck I'm also a believer that in most areas of ky. A "cull" buck is nothing more than an excuse for you to kill a 2 yr old deer and not be embarrassed to tell your buddy's about it. Kill the does in zone 1. That buck can live 3 years and it will just be him that doe could bring 3 heck maybe even 6 more little crop eaters into the world in 3 years. I don't believe you'll ever effectively manage a deer herd on a typical ky farm by shooting "cull bucks". And alot of those " cull bucks" go on to grow into good deer because when you've got one tag your picky about what you shoot. I feel the term cull is often times used very loosely to justify shooting bucks that were not up to face book picture standards.
Ive been thinking this for years u finally said it.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Make the season a month to 6 Weeks long in Zone 1.
Unlimited does an 2 bucks would really put a hurting on the deer

Last edited:

Ray

Fawn
Apr 17, 2016
I know what y'all are saying about the"cull" buck term but I do know the difference between a cull and a 2 year old and no I'm not interested in shooting a 2 year old 8 point either. You just can't just jump to that conclusion that nobody knows what there doing but you.I know there's some that don't know the difference but there are plenty of people that do so I feel that balances out. I have always been too picky and sometimes I have to tell myself to not get so serious about it and if it's a good mature buck then shoot it. I believe we all get too caught up in what the deer will score instead of a nice mature buck, including me. Now, I will also say that I'm like anyone else and I have made mistakes and judged a couple bucks wrong that I thought were mature and were just really nice 3 1/2 year olds but if you hunt long enough, it will happen. I don't feel like that is hurting anything if you make a mistake every once in a while. I just believe we could have a 2 buck limit with strict enough rules that it wouldn't hurt at all. I do like the idea about an archery buck.

PHILIPRILEY16

8 pointer
Nov 7, 2009
I think a 2 buck limit wouldn't mean everyone is going to go shoot little deer but if it's legal then why not. The deer are not here for trophys.but I think a 2 buck limit in zone one and zone 2 wouldn't help the deer numbers. I still think we need earn a buck system. You buy your regular tags,let's say you get a buck tag and 2 doe tags. After you fill all three tags you get another antletered tag

bow_hunter_42452

6 pointer
Jun 3, 2012
Just sit back and think about it for a minute. I bet there are more buck shot that don't get tagged. People prolly kill 2 to 3 bucks a year and nobody has any idea. I think if they want to give another buck tag then they should make all out of state hunters draw to hunt here that way they can limit the amount of out of state hunters. Or make the extra buck tag a earn a buck where u have to kill 3 or more does before u can get it. There is ways to make it work.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Just sit back and think about it for a minute. I bet there are more buck shot that don't get tagged. People prolly kill 2 to 3 bucks a year and nobody has any idea. I think if they want to give another buck tag then they should make all out of state hunters draw to hunt here that way they can limit the amount of out of state hunters. Or make the extra buck tag a earn a buck where u have to kill 3 or more does before u can get it. There is ways to make it work.

Remember kids, stay in school.