$2,500 REWARD - BULL ELK POACHED in Martin County

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by bigbonner, Dec 18, 2020.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    $2,500 REWARD - BULL ELK POACHED in Martin County.
    Conservation officers with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources are seeking information about a recent poaching incident of a bull elk in the area of Middle Fork Wolf Creek Road near the community of Davella in Martin County.
    Two rabbit hunters discovered a headless elk carcass while hunting on Nov. 27 and led Conservation Officer Bobby Owens to its location. The animal appeared to have been killed that morning or the night before based on the condition of the carcass. No meat was taken from the bull elk other than its head.
    Firearms seasons for elk were not open at the time. The hunters told Owens that they heard a rifle shot that morning but were unable to determine if the shot came from a deer hunter or the person responsible for shooting the elk.
    Anyone with information is encouraged to call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife's tip line at 1-800-25-ALERT.
    Anonymous tips also can be made by:
    ** Texting “KFWLAW” along with your message to 847411 (tip411)
    ** Using the KFWLaw app (iTunes App Store or Google Play Store)
    There is a $2,500 reward being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this poaching case thanks to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Kentuckiana chapter of Safari Club International and the League of Kentucky Sportsmen.

2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Hope they ring their neck

JimRu likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Finding elk sheds is a lot less risky and much leas wasteful. Wonder if the meat was salvaged.

bearleft likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What a waste,
    They should do hard labor for about a year.

barney likes this.
  5. AndySchulte

AndySchulte 6 pointer

Jun 18, 2020
    Louisville, Kentucky
    It blows my mind how many losers there are in the world.

I just can’t get past this... what do you even tell people when they ask about your “trophy?”

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    The poachers surely didn't kill because they were hungry . But now they need to go hungry and maybe they would learn something like bread and water is not so good after a couple years.

7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Not trying to paint with a broad brush here, but this is nothing unusual for Martin County. I know a man who has control of a large tract of property in Martin County. He’s had more than a few bulls poached. Happens all the time with deer. I’ve said it on here before, but Martin County could be a hunters paradise for deer, turkey, and elk. There’s some very big bucks killed in Martin County every year and this year has been no exception. Yes, there deer numbers are down but they’re still there and the population will rebound. Turkeys are very abundant and seem to be doing very well. The main problem in Martin County is shown in what’s happened here, scum of the earth poachers and folks who view game laws and property boundaries as mere suggestions. So called hunters on side by sides, four wheelers, and trucks go where they please and could care less who owns or leases the property. There’s also an attitude found in many that’s like “well we live here and should be able to do what we want.” Who cares if you have this property leased, who cares if the coal company owns this property? We want to hunt and by thunder we’re going to hunt it. Almost like a class warfare type attitude. I despise people like this! I’m sure there’s several folks who know exactly who killed this bull but they will not say a word because they couldn’t care less. It’s just a stupid elk to them. They have no pride, no self respect, and no respect for anything else. Until attitudes change Martin County will never be any better or have better. I do hope they catch these butt heads and make an example of them. Maybe they could even resist arrest a little. That’d be nice.

bondhu, barney and Bee like this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Wish I knew who it was. I’d like to have that $2500 but I’d turn them in for free!!!

JimRu and HCDH66 like this.
  9. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    Same thing happens every year at Elk Mountain aka “Plywood Factory” in Clay County. Same attitude towards the deer as well. Most hunters there are good people doing it right but the county has its fair share of Pinocchio’s.

dirtstalker likes this.
  10. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    Your brush got a little wide in regards to your comment about "so called hunters on side by sides and 4 wheelers" I'm just looking for clarification on what you meant. It seems like you made valid points with everything said. Just curious about that comment.

RLWEBB likes this.
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    This comment was made based on my experience. Most of the idiots own a side by side or 4 wheeler and use to further their trespassing abilities. For example, the man I referenced in my post has several roads leading onto his property that he’s took a dozer used it to cut and/or block the roads. However folks take their side by sides or 4 wheelers and go around or over the barriers. Another example. Come turkey season, they use the same vehicles to “run and gun” and call down points to try to strike a gobbler. So what I’m saying is, they use these things to run all over property they have no permission being on in the first place. I think a lot of them are also just plain lazy also as they sure don’t seem willing to walk in and trespass much. I have no issues with those who have permission to hunt a given piece of property to use these vehicles, it’s the lazy trespassers I have issues with. And we are covered up with them.

BuckNest and CRFmxracer like this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Trespassers

RLWEBB and BuckNest like this.
  13. BuckNest

BuckNest 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2020
    Mount Olivet KY
    Thank you for explaining. I completely understand and that would be very frustrating.

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Little bit off topic but rabbit hunted a spot this weekend that is private but joins a big area of public with a big area of reclaim along several service roads. I was shocked to see the number of trucks that just drove back and forth all morning decked out in orange. We must have seen 8-10 different trucks and many of them several times driving back and forth. I feel like that is the kind of person that RL is referring to there as well!!

RLWEBB likes this.
  15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Exactly. Road hunters.

KYote-Krusher likes this.