1st Spring Squirrel

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by dabassking, May 30, 2020.

1. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I finally got my first spring squirrel this morning on some public land. I saw 5 or 6 but only one gave me a shot. Luckily, I made it count.

Man, these guys are tough to get a shot at with all these leaves on the trees...

barney and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  2. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I killed 3 opening weekend...out of 6 I shot at. I had to relearn the effective range of a 20 gauge haha. I hadn’t hunted them in the spring for many years, and just hunted fall when leaves are off and squirrels are on the ground a lot. I forgot how hard it is to get in close enough to get a shot this time of year. Last 2 times I’ve been out I’ve seen squirrels shaking leaves from a distance, but by the time I close the distance to where you can get a clear shot, I’ve been spotted and they are not moving.
    You using shotgun or rifle?

3. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    My first two outings were with my old single shot 20ga, but today I took the .22.

I was having the same problem as you and seeing them from a distance with the shotgun but today, I jumped one up that would have been a chip shot with the 20ga, but I couldn’t find it in the scope fast enough with the .22.

You just can’t win with these things.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve been hunting with a .22 and it’s tough. Me and a buddy have experienced extremely skittish squirrels. They’ve all been in oaks - not feeding but look to be traveling through. You’ve got a small window of opportunity and then they are timbering out of the tree.

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The new crop of youngsters are all over the place around here. The dogs are going crazy and I haven't the time to oblige.

Feedman and Dark Cloud like this.
  6. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Y’all can hunt tree rats now, I’m jealous do many of them have warbles

7. 0Troy

0Troy Fawn

Oct 31, 2017
    Lexington
    Took a big girl last weekend. I think I only caught her because I had the sun to my back and she was trying to see what I was.

Definitely skittish.

We're going back out to Veterans for more this weekend. Will update.

Looking forward to it because I worked up a good recipe that my whole family will eat.

8. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Same here, squacks and bunnies galore around the house. Been leaving the dog out at night and have heard her bark a time or two so maybe she's keeping the night predators at bay somewhat anyway.

I missed a chip shot(155yds) on a yote other day with my buddies .17:eek: come to find out he'd moved the scope from its 100yd zero down to 25yds letting his son plink with it.. he forgot to tell me that little detail before I embarrassed myself in front of my WV buds:rolleyes:. Dang thing was slowly crusing the field edge 30yds from the horses. Looked to be badly malnourished. My guess was a female with young bc I didn't see any mange from the distance i was at. Dang I hate to miss anything, but yotes and big bucks gives me nitemares:confused:

hotdog and barney like this.
  9. 0Troy

0Troy Fawn

Oct 31, 2017
    Lexington
    Veterans Memorial WMA was pretty sparse, only saw a few, and only one gave me a shot. Very skittish.

Also TICKS! I've had 3 ticks on me, total in the last couple seasons, but today I had 7, and my brother had 5.