1st Saturday in November

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cornpile, Dec 1, 2020.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    The rich, fertile soil and their genetics may have a little to do with big bucks. The soil was almost black where I have been thus the high yields of corn and beans. How many bucks can you kill in Iowa, want that also?

2. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I say leave the opener as is and shorten the season back to 10 days have 2 days (weekend) for shotgun slug season in December move muzzleloader back to January

3. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    I think it should be shortened or moved out further into November. You’d see better bucks over time like other states that have later gun seasons. I like to bow hunt a d you’d see better rut/deer activity without the guns booming. Seems like KY has been managing more for numbers than quality lately by extending rifle season.

Never please everyone though. We all hunt with different goals in mind.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    No doubt you’re right. But on the other hand, are you familiar with the “bow only” counties in southern West Virginia and the quality of deer that are killed there? Soil quality not very good in Mingo, Wyoming, and those other counties. I also believe there’s something positive in moving modern gun seasons off the peak of the rut like Ohio does.

5. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    I wouldnt mind if it was pushed back until the Friday after Thanksgiving.
    Definitely dont want it at the beginning of November..

Nock likes this.
  6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    How's everyone feel about making a 15 inch (wide as ears ) rule just few years Kentucky would have lot of booners running around...
    I know lot of people buy tags to kill what they see run out first

Nock, cedar ridge and Junglekat like this.
  7. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I'll throw my wish in the barrel and say I'd like to see slug guns added to the late ML season. Leave the early 2 days alone or make it flintlock only?? That would get ppl's drawers in a twist lol.

Timholt70 and Trapper Delk like this.
  8. I like it the way it is,if anything move up not back

9. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1wildcatfan, xbokilla and Junglekat like this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’m torn on the idea of any antler size restrictions. I’d hate to have to tell my kid or any kid that’s it’s not big enough for you to shoot. The first year or two would be tough for all (kids, new hunters, meat hunters). But I believe if people bought into it the woods would be full of them. I never see it happening though.

OLE RASPY, BootsOn27 and Munson like this.
  11. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I've hunted Fort Knox since they implemented a 12" restriction.....I can't count the number of "illegal" bucks I've found dead in the woods, found covered up (hidden) in the woods, and brought in to be checked since it started. The "average" hunter doesn't do well with judging antler size restrictions. I'm 100% against them.....having said that, I think it's a great concept to help allow young bucks to age, but lots of bucks get killed that aren't legal. I've seen it. You don't always have enough time to assess the rack. Now most folks would say "then don't shoot"....but I can tell you it doesn't (or doesn't always) work that way in real life.

rockhousehunter, dirtstalker and Nock like this.
  12. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Agree 100%. Same thing happened on Green River WMA. Would also just give more ammo to hunters turning on fellow hunters on the buck they want to tag.

RLWEBB likes this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Same thing happened on Paintsville WMA in re to antler restrictions. My understanding is that some folks were fined for it after bring <15” deer to the check station.

14. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Gotta say didn't think about some of the points and I agree the kids should be able to shoot what ever. The smiles on the young kids face says it all, and I know it'll never happen but there's enough hunters that would go by it that would make a big difference. . And I've also seen deer that was shooters had very tall rack and be just under as wide as the ears

BuckNest likes this.
  15. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    Totally against it, I would like to move it to the first Saturday in December that would be great.