1st confirmed EHD deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mrdux, Jun 30, 2012.

1. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Another aspect to consider and why water is such a huge factor in EHD is that infected deer become feverish and head to water for relief, infected animals near water make it easy to transmit from one to another beause of the dry conditions putting them in close proximity to others..

Yes, we need to be stewards and harvest plenty of does when they are abundant, and back off when they aren't.. Too many deer is never a good thing.

2. oracle

oracle 6 pointer

May 25, 2009
    swamp beagler wrote:
    Good advise, but, I'm not sure the rackoholics will heed it. They go on doe patrol you know to take out as many of those useless does as possible. QDM sounds good (not all true IMO) until you're facing the possible obliteration of the herd from disease and then we may be back to one buck only for the next decade. Our zone 1 farms have been significantly down since the last outbreak - NO IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION. Also, remember last time, the dept. was only throwing out the figure of deer deaths from EHD that had been called in to them - which of course is only a fraction of the death total. Seemed too political to me, like they still wanted to kill bunches of those useless nasty does above and beyond what EHD was taking.

good advise, but, I hope the trophy hunters

3. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    In LBL I have been seeing Bucks in the middle of the Day near water sources.

There are Bucks at Honker Lake, Hemitite Lake, and around the Nature Station during the middle of the day right now near water.

Yesterday there was a tall racked Buck with a smaller Buck standing in a pond right off the road just across from the Hemitite Lake entrance down the street from the Nature Station. It was 105 degrees and 2PM and two Bucks were just standing next too the road drinking water, they did not seem to care about me or other people.

I have seen several Bucks walking in shallow areas of the water in Honker Lake during the past few weeks, even during the middle of the day.

I wonder if they are just trying to keep cool or if there is something wrong ? I have heard Deer with EHD will often hang around water sources also.

4. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    While running trail cams on Wednesday I spotted a large doe bedded in a creek near one of my hunting spots. She was within 20 yds of a major highway with traffic zipping by and she never moved. She was bedded in a normal up right position but about half of her body was covered in the cool water of the creek. She was just taking it easy. I hope she is okay. Not much water in that part of the country so everything I saw game wise was related to where they could find water.

5. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    These deer obviously have EHD.

6. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    I work in Benton, Kentucky. And tonight at work it rained very hard just about an hour ago.

But as I was driving south down Highway 641 towards Murray, it looked as though it had not rained at all.

7. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    All those concentrated water sources is going to kill your deer with EHD.

8. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    Thursday evening coming from work around 5:30 we took the back roads and we seen 5 deer in the pond in water up to their necks. I normally carry a camera with me but I didnt have it with me that day.

9. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Not being a smart azz or anything but I saw a whole herd of black angus in a pond today. Reckon they had EHD or was just trying to stay cool like every other living thing around here lately? I bet if the critters had AC under their favorite tree they would be there most of the day. I know I'm liking my couch in these 100 degree days and only go out if I have to.

10. Masterblaster

Masterblaster 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2009
    Bath Co Ky
    where deer concentrate????

give me a break... are you familiar with the term bachelor groups?

I'd say they are always concentrated in the summer , no matter where they are heading to eat, drink or sleep

11. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Fishing Taylorsville lake two weeks ago and there was a doe floating dead in Mitchell creek. Stank up the whole area, impossible to stay there...

12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    More like gangs. It is good thing they don't have weapons or we would all be dead.

My biggest worry with this heat is what are the panthers doing? Cats don't like water so how do they stay cool?