1st confirmed EHD deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mrdux, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Just got word from a buddy of mine who found a doe near death today in a waterhole on his southern Ill farm. He said it was definitely blue tongue. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the summer. He is one of the best bowhunters I know and has a farm that is several hundred acres that is managed for monster bucks. He said he has never seen one before August and we are not out of June. His comment was he's afraid we'll lose over 50% of our herd. NOT GOOD!!!

2. damon kustes

damon kustes 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2002
    louisville
    hate to hear that...Was concerned about that....

If it becomes widespread in KY we need to have all hunters jump on the Dept and Get the Doe Killing cut off quick......

3. standsitten

standsitten 8 pointer

Mar 20, 2011
    I completely agree, if we have another outbreak like we did in 2007 it will be bad. The deer are just now beging to come back but still not 100 percent. Somthing will have to be done if that happens. We also need to PRAY for rain crops are drying up.

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Some die every year so it's not time to panic yet. Just cross your fingers and hope for lots of rain.

5. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Good Idea which I agree with. BUT remember an outbreak of EHD will also take Bucks as well as Doe too. If we do have a massive outbreak; I can see the return to the days where we'll go back to a 7-day Gun Season with "Bucks only" one Deer limit/year state wide. This time EHD could take out 60% of the total herd here in KY, In, & Ill.

6. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I'd say it depends on the locality. Lots of water sources lessens the transmission rates. We've got tons of deer, and the last outbreak only got 1 deer that i know of on our farm. I'm certain that's due to the fact that we have 2 streams and 7 different pons/water holes for the deer to visit. When the deer have options on where to get water, there's a lower likelihood that they'll wind up at the site where the infected midges are present.

Also remember that in the last outbreak, we had a strain of EHD that was particularly hard on bucks.

IMO, KDFWR needs to monitor the situation and make harvest level changes in specific counties that might be hit hard.

7. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Buckfever, I agree with your opinion that the KDFWR needs to look at this current situation seriously. Also, please remember that we had a very mild last Winter which will translate into more insects [Midges] that carry the virus EHD. It really doesn't matter how much water, streams, or lakes one has in & around there hunting areas. If one "infected midge" bites a Deer and the Deer end-up with EHD then the disease exists in that particular area, regardless of available water sources. Water may help out with stress on Deer but no guarantee that an out break of EHD won't happen. Here's some info on EHD:

http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,1607,7-186--26647--,00.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    The midges are throughout yoour woods, they simply breed in stagnant water. The deer being concentrated and high numbers, ie water sources, food plots, corn piles, is what causes the rapid transmission of the disease.

9. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I couldn't have said it better, Joe.

10. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    Yep...seeing lots of dead deer along the highway near my house. EHD hitting hard already! ;)

11. Pollcat

Pollcat 8 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Wouldn't dead deer along a highway be from an LTD hitting hard? JK

12. retiredbowhunter

Aug 23, 2006
    Don't know...all I know is that they are just there..... and dead!

13. retiredbowhunter

Aug 23, 2006
    There is a lot of bugs, especially flies, around them....must be the cause of the ehd.

14. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

No disrepect intended but who confirmed it was EHD?

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I'm also wondering where the confirmation of EHD came from? I talked to a biologist today and there haven't been any confirmed cases.

Even if it was confirmed the deer died in Illinois not KY.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012