18-19 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deadbeat, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    For anyone who might go hiking with a bird dog and a shotgun, who may happen to see a game bird or ghost bird, post it here. I got out yesterday to see if any woodcock were out, and they were not. I also hunted a small spot looking for a grouse or two and did flush one in about a 1 mile circle.

2. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    Some of you attended the RGS meeting with the Forest Service last spring where we determined that trying to re'do and add to existing old cuts would be a good habitat start. I spent a day with them last week in the RED Bird district and today with them in the London district. They are extremely motivated to do some work and are looking for ways to begin work on these areas. Took a couple of my dogs today and let them run some. They had two points in an area that was good three years ago but produced nothing the past two years. One point came up dry but the way they worked led me to believe it was a grouse point and the second point produced a flush that I heard but did not see. Other trips with their personnel can be planned if you have old cut areas that could be cultivated into fresher grouse country.

3. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I plan on getting out a little bit more towards the end of the year and hunting the spots that held grouse last year. In the case that they have birds in them I will try to plan a few trips for January and February with some of the personnel.

4. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    I have been out a couple of more times with a couple of points each time where I am sure the dogs were working grouse but the points have come up barren again. It is leading me to think that the birds must be mature although in one spot a worker told me he had seen a momma with 2-3 young ones in late summer. Longer deer season has kept me out of some of my better spots. Just wondering if anyone else has been out with early reports.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I thought about going tomorrow, but with it fairly warm and deer season still in I am going to wait a little bit longer.

6. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    A friend of mine sent me this pic from muzzle loading season. This Grouse routinely gets in the stand with him. It will walk with him on the trail checking cameras etc. He also showed me a pic of it with him during gun season. Been going on a couple years now. Central to east KY.

Attached Files:

bondhu likes this.
  7. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Would be really cool if they could find the opposite sex as that one that was tame and possibly get a line of them that could be raised and turned loose, even if only to turn loose and hunt a couple hours later like we do quail.

8. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I don’t believe that the Grouse in the photo was pen raised. I’ve never known anyone that’s had any success with that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    My farm and area was known for grouse hunting . Now I have not seen one in a long time . I was riding a trail on my farm just a little before dark and a single bird jumped up in front of me and landed maybe 25 ft off to the side . I first thought it was a grouse but it may have been a woodcock . I watched where the bird landed to see if I could get my eyes focused . I could not get my eyes focused to tell which one it was . I was really hoping it was a grouse . I need my eyes worked on .

10. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I know it wasn't pen raised, but from what I have read most pets that are tame today were bred that way by first finding some that were somewhat tame and breading them. Then the tamest ones from a couple of offspring were bread again, until they were tame enough. I have heard that you can't bread the wild out of grouse, but who knows.

11. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
    Well according to these people, it is possible and they do it all the time. I had actually contacted them a couple years ago when researching some ways to improve habitat around my property and looking at the possibility of maybe releasing some. $300 for a mating pair was what they quoted me.

http://www.grouseparkwaterfowl.com/canada-ruffed-grouse

12. Panther45

Panther45 6 pointer

Sep 25, 2013
  13. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I looked at some of that stuff a while back and talked to a few people who had raised them in the past, if I had more time and money I would raise some, I have raised quail and enjoyed it in the past.

14. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    Just thought I would check in and see if anyone was doing better with their upland season than I am. Usually I am out on average 3 times per week. Early reports led me to believe that grouse numbers might be up a little from last year but my hunts so far have not proved this to be the case for me. My first hunt looked promising but every hunt since then has been poor with very few points and really no sightings of grouse. Heard a couple but could not get close. I have continued to get some sightings reports but cannot seem to locate the birds. In places where I found birds last year and left birds there I have still come up empty. I still have quite a few covers to try and sometimes birds appear later. Not much in the way of a nut crop and have not seen many greenbriar berries. My experiences with quail have been similar both on mountain coveys and grain field coveys. Sightings of turkeys seem way down again as well. My thoughts now tend to be along the lines of three extremely wet years as they have seen up north and the changing climate with warmer winters and wetter springs seems to be the main factors. We need habitat as you can never have too much but in areas where I have great habitat pockets of population should be better. As for quail I still have areas with great habitat where coveys have disappeared.
    I hope others are having a little bit better luck than I have had but just thought I would check to see how others are doing. I don't know whether to feel worse for my old dogs that are nearing the end of their career or the younger dogs that still have a ways to go, regardless we will still hit the fields and woods.

15. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    The goal was for today to keep a fresh dog on the ground to see what we could come up with. Hit 4, really good spots in the past, with a fresh dog at each spot but still came up with nothing. Bad disappointed!! Good luck to each that give it a try this year. Going to be another bad year.