17hmr

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by 30pointbuck, Apr 5, 2010.

1. 30pointbuck

30pointbuck Spike

Oct 11, 2004
    glasgow ky
    Going to purchase a NEF Sportster ( single shot - break open 22" heavy barrel ) in 17 HMR & was wondering if anyone has one & ur opinion on how it performs .

2. 454Casull

454Casull 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
  3. pb

pb Cyber-Hunter

I bought mine back when the 17hmr first came out and it was the only rifle in that caliber I could find. .75 inch groups at 100 yds but it is a little heavy.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    When I first had the urge for a 17HMR... I was strongly considering the NEF/ H&R single shots. I had bought my daughter a 243 youth hand-rifle and it is a great gun. So...your not going to hear me knock them to say the least.

However when decision time came.... I ended up going with a Savage 9317FV (synthetic /w/ bull barrel). Savage also makes one under the Stevens line(310?) without the accu-trigger & Marlin makes a good shooter as well. These guns are also not that far off from the price of the single shots. Having a magazine vs. single shot was ultimately a factor on my decision.

Again... not trying to pesuade you one way or another. Just advising to keep your options open. The NEF will be a fine gun but so are the ones I listed.

Good luck!!

5. They are good guns for the price no doubt. The price makes it even better if you want the gun for a beater/truck gun. I bought a savage with acutrigger and bull barrel and LOVE it.