17HMR or a .270 for yotes?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by True Rifleman .270Win, Dec 23, 2010.

1. True Rifleman .270Win

True Rifleman .270Win 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    I've been thinking on trying to get my parents to get me a new rifle. Im wondering wich one i should get for yotes. Any advice

2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    by your name i thought you already had a .270?

3. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    Na my grandpas got one I've been hunting with since i started huntin when i was 4

4. Ky Fur Buster

Ky Fur Buster Spike

Dec 15, 2010
    Perry Co.
    270!! 17 hmr is worthless.

5. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    I was looking at them cause their cheaper to shoot and mossberg 817 are nice.

6. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    If I was you, I'd stick with the 12 gauge, the 20 guage, the 30-30, and the pellet guns that you used to kill the 26 coyotes out of the den with the other day. That den huntin is where it's at for high numbers of coyotes like that.

7. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Rifleman 270 when ya get a bit more weight on ya might try this for MASSIVE carnage.

[​IMG]

Its a bathroom shooter from Hail!!!

8. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    Is that sweet thing yours the biggest gun i have shot is Bertha my dads mossberg 500 with slugs

9. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    If you're going to hunt mainly dens, maybe you want to go with the 17HMR. If you sit back far enough from the opening you won't tear 'em up too bad. Here's one of my typical den set-ups...........

[​IMG]

Notice that I'm far enough away to keep my scent to a minumim. You need a LOUD caller to penetrate the dirt walls and turns in the tunnels. Some of them may go as far as 75 yards into the hillside. This set-up was when the pups were very young, so my decoy of choice was a teat on a string. The call that I was using was a combination of pup whine and milk slurp distress. Like I said, this is only a typical set-up as I only got 18 of 'em that day. I decided not to post pictures of the kills because of the massive splash wounds on the pups. Maybe I was still too close? Not sure really. But this should give you an idea of how you should make your den stands.

10. Outdoor Mafia

Outdoor Mafia Fawn

Dec 5, 2010
    Highland Heights
    Depends, what exactly are you doing removing a predator from a property, or harvesting an animal for a different use?

11. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    How far away are ya 50 inches? I dont use a caller I just trackem till i find em then when i find em i kill em or i sniff em out

Getting revenge for killin my dog and trying to get my goat you should read a christmas present for the yotes then youll under stand why i want payback

I just want vengence on them

I aint familiar with electronic caller just mouth calls like howlers and cotton tail distress call or a regular ole turkey call like a box pr slate or even a gobbler

Are ya usin a mossberg 817 or somthin elese

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  12. RaginRoyal88

RaginRoyal88 6 pointer

Sep 2, 2009
    Maysville
    Ole' milk slurp distress... Never fails to get the yotes up and moving.

13. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I was able to slip in a little closer than normal. The wind was in my face and yes I could smell the coyotes. Their scent was swirling all around me. I had a 3x9 scope but only had to put in on 5x to see them good. I had to wait till they cleared the hole to shoot so they wouldn't block the entrance. As soon as I'd shoot one I'd jerk it out of the way so another one could come out behind it. I think there were still probably 6 or 7 left in the den that I wasn't able to get. Because that fall, a bowhunter was hunting only 50 yards from there. When he got out of his stand they went after him and chased him all the way to his truck. Good thing he got away from them.

14. True Rifleman .270Win

Dec 21, 2010
    CLASSIFIED
    I've never had yotes chase me but ive had em stalk me till i saw them 6 of us went into the creek bed only 1 came out a 30-30 does wonders for gettin rid of a yotes headache

15. RaginRoyal88

RaginRoyal88 6 pointer

Sep 2, 2009
    Maysville
    True Rifleman, do you have any military training? Because your skills amaze me...