Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by WI Hunter, Feb 13, 2003.

1. WI Hunter

WI Hunter Fawn

Feb 9, 2003
    I was just wondering what you all thought about a .17 cal. I heard those were supposed to be good for yotes is that true? I thought the bullet size was to small it seems to be like the size of a .177 pellet. thanks for any reply

2. COUNTRYBOY

COUNTRYBOY 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2003
    Butler Co, KY
    HEY WI,
    IF YOU ARE WANTING TO KEEP THE SKINS, THE .17 CAL. IS PROBABLY A GOOD GUN FOR YOU. THEY ARE VERY TRUE UP TO 150 YARDS THEN START TO DROP BUT THEY DROP HALF THE DISTANCE OF A .22 MAG. I BELIEVE THE .22 MAG DROPS 18 INCHES AT 200 YARDS WHILE THE .17 DROPS 9 INCHES. HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT USING A SHOTGUN W/ HIGH POWERED SHELLS? THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE SKINS. ALOT OF PEOPLE USE SHOTGUNS BUT ARE GOOD AT CALLING IN YOTES TO A CLOSE RANGE.

COUNTRYBOY

3. WI Hunter

WI Hunter Fawn

Feb 9, 2003
    I am just a beginner and am not too good at calling. I havent called one it yet so I don know what to expect. Right now im giong to hunt with 12gage with 3in buck shot. I also brought my 7mm mag with too and I know that would wreck the skin. I would like to keep the skin. that is my main reason for hunting them. do you think that the .17 would put one down fairly fast with one shot? because if I would get one it would prob. be a single shot or bolt (cheapest). thanks for any replys

4. I know at 100 you can put two shots in the same hole.... I also know it plays he## on a cat too...lol

5. I for sure am not a fan of the 17. Most serious predator hunters and I know a few use the 22-250, I like the Old 220 swift myself. If you're shooting at closer ranges, COUNTRYBOY is right. A 12 gage 3" mag # 4 buckshot knocks em real dead, Good Hunting.

6. I have a .17 Savage and have killed 3 yotes in the past week with it. My max shot was about 150 yards and it did its job. I also take a shotgun with me for close shots but I have no complaints so far.