17-18 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deadbeat, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    for the first time in 53 years I did not kill a grouse in southern appalachia; nor did I see a grouse....a friend who has hunted grouse as extensively as anyone I have ever known , typically annually killing up to half a hundred by himself, also did not kill a bird. Three friends who are younger and hunt the steep and bad stuff killed one between all of them in many many hours in the woods.

Sadly we are at the point of no return. I would not have shot one myself even if the opportunity presented itself. A dramatic management move is required to save what little base may still be out there. For my grandsons sake I would hope the seasons and bag limits in near future are extremely conservative, if open at all.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I've also changed my mind about the season part. The few birds that are left out there should be protected at all cost.

3. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I pretty much agree about the season, the bag limit is pretty much irrelevant for now, but if the birds pick back up I don't know why a person would think that 2 in a day isn't enough.

trust me likes this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    2 actually grouse hunts and 4 quail/grouse hunts. All 0 flushes. Sure would have liked to seen the young shorthair cross one. Never loaded gun until the last February hunt, cause like trust me, I would like to have a Kentucky Appalachian Red on the wall.
    Maybe Steven Rinella can come here and get the word out like he tried for sage grouse?

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A quick scan of this thread shows at least 6 KY birds were killed and posted here. How many sent blood samples and grouse logs in to the KDFWR?

I did.

6. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    I know it has been bad but the end of the season gave me a little hope. I began to move a few more birds and moved some that seemed to be paired up/ My harvest for the season was 6 birds and could have been a little more. The pairing up seemed to be the last two weeks of the season. The meeting with the Forest Service went well and they plan to do significantly more cutting and burning. I talked to them about starting by recutting or select cutting old clear cut areas where a few birds still reside. The Forest Service biologist will go with me to look at some sights. RGS will hold a meeting with her this spring and it would be your opportunity to show her some of your areas which could be reharvested or areas in the Daniel Boone which would make good cuts. We are also discussing with Quail Forever about some quail restoration on strip mines and other good habitat areas which would give other hunting opportunities while grouse can hopefully rebound. If you were able to look at the webinar presented by Pennsylvania it showed some low points that were almost equal to what they are experiencing now. The last bird my dogs pointed that flew down the hollow into the sunset was a female and maybe there are a few more like her. There are a few habitat projects started and maybe a few more in the works.

bondhu likes this.
  7. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I sent the blood sample and log. Unfortunately while my feather were drying in my garage my neighbors dog came and ate them. I did note in the comments that is was a young female. I could have killed another bird or so early in the season but gave them a pass. The day I killed the one I did I let another one go that was pointed just out of principle that I had already taken one there. I would be more than happy to show the public spots I have been jumping birds if they would like to cut close to them.

bondhu and trust me like this.
  8. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I keep forgetting to come back to this thread, but most days out with the dogs (I don't carry my gun due to the poor numbers), but we moved 3 -5 birds most days. Usually got points on them but they are acting like Montana grouse, they don't flush til I'm on top of em. They are like training birds for me. I really hope they have a good hatch, I'd like to be able to kill a couple but until I see a bump up its not happening. I do have some good woodcock numbers move in just before that real warm weather a couple weeks ago. I hear em every evening flying around at dusk, and see em on my roads doing the woodcock strut! Trying to get some woodcock bands and take my female draht out and find some nests and band some hatchlings.

9. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Spike

Feb 2, 2017
    The grouse I sent in that was emaciated came back with a cancerous tumor on its liver. No evidence of West Nile virus. Possibly just caused by it being an old bird but they said this was unusual.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm surprised a grouse can live long enough to get cancer. 3 years is a ripe old age for them.