??

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Nov 8, 2018.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    elk season over?? This thread is as limp as daffy ducks probe, if he had one. More action on the coon hunting thread! Elk is kys finest guys!

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Seems people have given up on the elk. They are few and far between from what most are saying. Had a buddy hunt 7 days during bull rifle and they never saw an elk of any kind. They did see and talk to 5 or 6 guys that were what they called spotters for some guides in the area. Saw them nearly every day my friend said. My son has a 2nd rifle cow tag so we will give it a shot I guess. Had a good area we hunted a few years ago but it is closed due to lack of elk. Landowner shut it all down in hopes some would return. Seems as though the KY elk hayday is over.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I saw a small herd of cows this week in knott. Of course, they were on private land that doesn't allow hunting.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    They are still out there, you just have to find them. If I had a tag there’s no way I’d be giving up til the last possible second.

KYBOY likes this.
  5. dcnyli

dcnyli Fawn

Jul 18, 2016
    i had to head in 7 times to tag my bull elk, i didn't know the area, didn't know elk but didn't give up either. Just stay at it, you have to cover ALOT of ground, they are elk not cattle

6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    We will find them if they are around. Biggest problem anymore is access to land that has them.

KYBOY likes this.
  7. 1wildcat1

1wildcat1 Fawn

Aug 4, 2018
    Kentucky
    I have scouted and hunted hard for months. I have had a few encounters with cows and one spike. The consensus of most people I talked to over my journey is that there are not near as many elk as there used to be. I have encountered some nice people along the way who have been willing to share info, but also some others who want to make money off of the elk and are not willing to help or give inconsistent or incorrect information. I encountered a CO who tried to intimidate me about land near my voucher area that he said a guide had leased. I ended up contacting some landowners and gaining permission to hunt. I plan to continue to hunt hard and fill my tag, but I have been disappointed that elk hunting in Kentucky seems to be so focused on money.

8. hossamassey

hossamassey 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2006
    I have a cow archery tag. I have hunted about 14 days so far. I will keep trying till Dec 31st, as I feel this is a once in a lifetime hunt. Have yet to see an elk. I do see sign, but still looking for them. We do have elk, just not as many and have given a huge amount away.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    It’s a tough hunt. Good luck. Got drawn once in 2011 and only had the opening archery week to hunt. Saw a monster bull but no cows. I tried a DIY on private land. If I ever get drawn again I’ll probably get a guide.