15 horses shot in eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CRFmxracer, Dec 19, 2019.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I remember back in the day there was a thriving market for fat pet horses and ponies. Pen hookers were driving the roads and knocking on doors wanting to know what you would take for the nag standing in the field.

Dark Cloud and jblack1 like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What toxic chemicals are they being pumped with or are you just saying something that hat you know nothing about.
    They are abandon so how are they getting these chemicals

3. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Nothing more than the deer, elk, turkeys, and bears are getting.

barney likes this.
  4. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    the 1st time i have heard of this.

5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    cant say i like it. but, i think they shouldn't have been turned loose. you can see what happened in florida, when snakes got turned loose in Florida. i am a horse person. one thing i will not do is let my horses go free. same as wild dogs, in a way. dont want your dog, take it for a ride. that is so wrong. i'd rather shoot my horses, then let them run free.. was there a place that they could run free, is a different matter.
    City slickers, got no sense. move to the country, and expect it to be the same. the country, has a set of rules, that dont apply to the city.. maybe common sense; i got other problems. the county i moved to. wants it to be more, like the city. what a bunch. they dont know, nor have a clue. the reason people moved out this way, was to get away from the city. yet people that moved out want to make it the same same as the city.. why escape a mess, just to make it the same mess. go back to the city, and straighten it up first.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    i hate to say, i agree with you. i love horses. got 2 myself. those groups, aint got no ideal what to do with the horses, should it be stopped, nor care.. i love horses, dont want to eat any, though. what can ya do with excess horses? i dont want to feed them to dogs., including my siblings. i'd rather feed them people. yuk yuk. i couldnt help it, but, put that in,.. ya gotta know my siblings..
    ground meat. meat-heads.. that will keep me going for a month or so. siblings and in-laws. some in-laws are tougher. gotta cook slower.. Wish ya could hear me laughing.. in-laws are so full, they must be like the lower intestines. is a word for that, Tripe..

7. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    i have to agree with you. horses are curious, an will, investigate., i reverse your thread, dont leave an unattended horse, around a vehicle. this rings more true to me, from experience.

8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    shoot the people that turn them loose.

9. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    In parts of Europe people would shoot them and put them in the freezer. Horse meat isn't taboo over there.

10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    horse is good meat in France. so are pidgins , rumor has it pidgin lips are a delicacy in France. ;~}
    squab, pidgin lips, you can look it up, aint no different than, chicken lips, nor turkey lips..
    just struck me funny, the first time i heard it. aint no such thing.. when it comes to hotdogs, aint no telling what is in there.

11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Purportedly, a man whom owns property adjoining the (I believe that I read somewhere "refurbished") abandoned mine contacted the Floyd County Sherrif, stating that five of his horses were dead, after having gone up to the mine. It does not state whether they escaped or he permitted them to go up there.

Meanwhile, NPR utilized a hook within their headline claiming that the horses had been "hunted"(in order to demonize hunters and firearms, would be my guess), calling it an "act of evil", as an additional part of the hook.

12. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Never let a good crisis go to waste....where did I hear that line before?

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    If I was a gamblin' man I'd say he let them go. 5 horses need quite a bit of land to graze the winter or the summer as far as that goes. Lots of people here in Knott county do the same thing. I know for a fact we have the same thing going on here. And that's not the only herd of horses in Floyd county either. I'll stick to my iron horse, gas may be higher than hay but I don't need tons of it to roam the hills.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I like chicken lips! Especially fried real crisp.

00noturkey and Dark Cloud like this.
  15. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Horses are frequently given medications that are banned or regulated in animals destined for your table. Bute being the one I’ve heard the most about. Apparently it can be toxic to humans and my understanding is that has been banned in animals used for food, meaning that it not considered safe even with a withdrawal period. I have no interest in horse meat but I certainly wouldn’t want it from and former riding, performance and/or pet horses.

While I don’t like the idea of horse slaughter, I have no logical argument against it (medication issues, perhaps), but I would rather see humane slaughter rather than slowly starving them to death. Reports of abandoned and/or starving horses have skyrocketed since the ban on slaughter.

Where was the outrage (and the money) when these horses started showing us on the old strip mines!?!? Many of these horses have suffered fates far worse than death...starvation, injuries from vehicle collisions, hooves overgrown, etc. I saw photos and a story about one mare that had been shot after she had been seen with a partially born foal protruding for several days. No one could get close to her to help, so she was shot to end her misery. These are not the hardy mustangs that have developed/evolved to live without human care. These animals NEED care.

Like any other invasive species they wreck havoc on the environment as well. But it’s difficult to do anything about them because they’re viewed as pets. There’s not enough rescues to take them, or homes for them if they did. If we opened fire on a herd of feral cattle to control them there would be only a few objectors, but try that with feral horses and you see what happens. (Sadly in this case, it sounds like it might not have been humane kills, but I’ll admit that haven’t read the details.)

But I’ll step off my soapbox now.

RLWEBB, 00noturkey and kyhunter99 like this.