15 horses shot in eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CRFmxracer, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Did it say what they did with the horse carcasses?
    Leave them for the buzzards, yotes an bears?

2. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

People are bad to turn them and cattle loose on strip jobs when they can’t care for or just don’t want them anymore. There are several strips within 30 minutes of me with wild horses or cattle. People take them food all winter. Mostly people who want to take pictures with them for their social media accounts.

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  3. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    This is exactly the part that gets me.. turning cattle loose??? Last time i checked a cow had decent market value. Who just throws money and food away?
    Where are the auction houses out there??

Carl likes this.
  4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I would think people are turning cows out to graze and then rounded back up and shipped to market. That actually makes sense because in essence the deadbeats are receiving free pasture.....which is total bull crap. The horses are just unwanted and left to fend for themselves because pos “owners” are too lazy and worthless to do anything else with them. Not to mention you can’t readily ship them off for slaughter.

kyhunter99, Carl, dirtstalker and 3 others like this.
  5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Like Ed said free pasture ,the land owners dropped the ball ,when they signed the contract to lease to the coal company.They should have made them survey and fence their property ,where they stripped.Now the public think its free range

6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Hate to say it, but maybe we need some type of law prohibiting this “free ranging” grazing. Cattle and horse owners should be responsible for their animals. It’s having a bad effect on the environment and other critters like the elk.

kyhunter99, Carl and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably in the kitchen Ky
    Agree agree agree... then totally disagree. Its incredibly easy to get them to slaughter.
    But, heck, maybe eky is so dang desolate and Beat that it could be. I dont know the markets there. What i do know is.... eky be creepy.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    This is just a bad story all the way around. But as a person that has rescued a abused and Neglected horse I would probably had rather seen it turned out on the strip mine to have a fighting chance then see a concrete block placed on its halter rope to starve to death. There are several programs around to help some horse owners when money gets tight but most do not partake and these horses suffer. I guess the next argument would be well if they could get them trailered to the strip mine they could get them trailered To the slaughterhouse but who wants to see their “at one time pet” end up like that. I don’t really have a argument. I’m just thinking out loud

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So it’s just as easy to have them sold at market, loaded up, and headed to the slaughter house as it used to be? I think you are mistaken. Countless horses go unsold where as back in the day, they were bought and headed to the mill.

10. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I hear ya. I feel bad for the horses. Certainly not their fault that a bunch of idiots turned them out to graze. Like every other problem, idiot people cause it.

Dark Cloud likes this.