15 horses shot in eastern ky

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by CRFmxracer, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Special place in hell for who ever killed those horses.

00noturkey likes this.
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So what is the legal ramification here? I guess since they were on strip mines, private property regulations apply? Trespassing and permission laws apply? Are there restrictions on shooting horses? Who did the horses belong to on this strip job? Will they see charges for letting their horses free range? I’m a horse guy through and through. I just have countless legal questions. Eff the humane society by the way.

4. biged57

biged57 Spike

Nov 17, 2013
    There’s a 20.000. Dollar reward out now as of this morning sheriff of digging in and hard

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    These were horses turned loose right? They weren’t in someone’s pasture?

6. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    An abandoned mine, where they are reported to frequently roam, some owned and perhaps others were not. It appears the news went national two days ago, best that I can ascertain. This one contains a few more details for you.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/lexington/news/2019/12/20/floyd-co--horse-killings?cid=share_clip

Edit: I did read elsewhere that two herds existed and had come together.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I would never excuse anyone for killing horses but the horse problem in Eastern Ky is real. KDFWR started a neutering program if I am not mistaken due to the sheer numbers of "free range" herds of horses on strip jobs up there. I have seen groups as big as 15-20 on many occasions and they seem as wild as any wild animal.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It’s been a problem for a long time and there is one simple cause.. laziness... people don’t want to take care of them then they haul them to a random strip and dump them.. happens all the damn time.. public and private property..
    I’ve seen a truck with the fenders destroyed , chewed off by wild horses while the owner was hunting.

Regulator623 and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. gds

gds 8 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    They should require "chips " to be implanted in all horses to help identify the owners . The people who turned these horses loose to fend for themselves should be charged with animal cruelty . It's their responsibility to take care of them . Not to just dump them , to fend for themselves . I've seen over a hundred horses , mules and ponies running around on Revelation's strip jobs in Martin Co . That causes a lot of damage to the vegetation in the area . Competition between the wild animals and the horses that's unnecessary , just because some people are too cheap to care for and feed their horses . They should be prosecuted for abandoning their pets . If you can't afford to take care of them , don't get them . This problem is going to have to be dealt with sooner or later . I'm surprised that the coal companies didn't take it upon themselves to put a stop to it when it started years ago .

10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    We had some show horses on the farm, after we sold off all of the cattle. I preferred the rescued donkey, myself, even though it threw me one time, after my father tossed a pie pan into the air, because the thing was too stubborn to move for me. I was on bareback, and off I went with a quickness, lol. It used to try and bite me, too. Other than that, it was a good animal and had been found tied to a tree with about four feet of rope, raw and wounded from it, which was the reason that we commandeered it from somewhere.

I have never had horse meat, but if there is a market for it, I fail to see the problem, other than maybe the improper transport issues mentioned within one of the links, and perhaps there are others unfamiliar to me, but those issues should be able to be properly addressed.

I do not like the idea of implanting chips into animals, simply because I know that we humans often develop issues with any/all types of implants, being that disease likes to congregate around them.

11. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Yeah...you don't leave an unattended vehicle around horses.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Other than trespassing on mine property....is shooting feral horses illegal?

13. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a hospital
    HUH...
    You know, it really shouldn't be. It's not a regulated game animal and should qualify as an invasive. I don't know that KY has any Waste laws that would cover it (I wouldn't mind a waste law).

It has to be illegal somehow for there to be such a reward from the sheriff. Maybe the coal company claims ownership. Then it would be killing livestock.

Met a guy when on an elk hunt that claimed a bunch as a sort of "adopted" herd. He fed them through the winter.

I bet they qualify as livestock in this instance.

CRFmxracer likes this.