15-16 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 9, 2015.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Me and the old guy went out for 3 hours, covered big timber, small timber, and in between, before we got to the 7 year old clear cut we been keeping an eye on. Dogs were hot and tired, went down the creek and missed a bird 20 feet up on the bank. I walked it up, passed on the shot, the old man may have hit it. We watched it fly a couple hundred yards, never got it up again. He had a good shot, must've got a pellet or two in it but it flew strong. Hope it's fine, may see it next year.

2. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I think by the time we made it to the truck there were 3 tired guys and 3 tired dogs.

3. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Got out this afternoon for a whole 25 minute hunt. Had 9 flushes and killed 2 then decided to call it quits to leave plenty of seed for next year

Attached Files:

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I know I got all preachy about not killing another bird, but when the dog work is this good, you just have to pull the trigger and ask forgiveness later.

2-26-16 Dogs.jpg

2-26-16 crop content.jpg

5. upland hunter

upland hunter Spike

Aug 6, 2015
    For me it's always tough, I want to hunt if season's
    in,and I know my dog's want to go, and when they do
    what they were born to do, I feel,if I can, they should
    be rewarded, although, with pride on one hand and
    remorse on the other...
    I put in 5hrs today, found 5 grouse, 4 of which were
    pointed and heard another,killed 2 and didn't shoot at
    another they pointed which came up in front of me about
    10ft away 20160227_151744.jpg

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I hunted a couple spots that I had not been to in years. In 7 or 8 years they went from thick spots with grouse to open timber that nothing will stay in. I did get a few points on woodcock but no grouse. All in all it was a pretty good year though, I jumped 16 grouse in 8 hunts, killed 1.

7. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I'm need to reach out to some of the die hard Appalachian grouse hunters, and while not on topic particularly for this thread, I figured this thread may better reach my target demographic.

In the last 6 months, I've had to bury 2 truly exceptional male setters, one of which, Junior, (the dog in my avatar) had the best total package of what I consider a Appalachian grouse dog to be that I've ever personally seen. I have a 2 year old granddaughter of his that I was planning to breed back to him, but unfortunately cancer got him before she came in heat and his sperm count was too low at that point for freezing.

So, I've been looking for a stud dog to breed to her, and have located 2 as of now. I'm planning to go watch Steve Narramore's "Blue" dog this afternoon, and I have been talking to Gary Vitali in Versailles about his "Tony" dog. If any of you have any personal experiences with either of these dogs, I'd very much like to hear your input.

I thought I was going to have up until April before my female would be in heat, but she had a nice red surprise for me on Friday. So, my timetable got moved up quickly.

Also, if any of you have, or know of, a truly exceptional Appalachian grouse dog that would make a good stud, please reply here or send me a PM with as much info and pics as possible, as I will have to make a decision by this weekend, and if that dog has any Tekoa Mountain Sunrise, Hick's Rising Sun, or Hamilton's Blue Diamond in the pedigree, you may move to the front of the line.

Help me out guys.

8. birdshooter

birdshooter 6 pointer

Jan 22, 2012
    Greenup Ky
    Mark

I am a little bias but think Blue would be an excellent choice. If you don't know Blue is from a breeding Steve and I did from my Highland Bondhu Katie. I also have a litter mate to him Banjo who has performed well the past 4 years in Wis. I have 2more males here if you want to look at different flavors. Rock is a 10 year old chestnut out of Bandit with a lot of Gladstone blood. Ace is a 4 year old with Advie. Your're more than welcome to stop by and look.

9. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Thanks for the background info. I missed meeting up with Steve yesterday, but we talked this morning and we're getting together this afternoon. My only reluctance with Blue is his llewellin breeding. Blue is 62.5% llewellin and I've never been high on llewellin's in general. Please don't take that as a criticism ... kind of how I like all ice cream, but chocolate is my favorite. It is a subtle distinction, but a distinction I make nonetheless.

Also, Long Gone Buckwheat will be in KY this weekend and in southern OH next week. I spoke with Lloyd Murray yesterday and we're going to meet Saturday to look over both individual dogs / pedigrees and discuss a breeding. Here's the bio on Buckwheat:

http://www.longgonesetters.com/long_gone_buckwheat.html

I really wasn't prepared to make this decision, as I didn't expect to have to put Junior down and I didn't expect Kat to come in heat until April/May, but that's the way it worked out and I need a replacement pup.

Again, thanks for all input here and through PM's ... keep them coming and I'll let you all know what I decide and if we are successful in making a bird dog love connection.

10. Brawny

Brawny Fawn

Dec 5, 2007
    End of the line
    My dad has a male you may be interested in. He is mosty grouse ridge and Tomoka/Ghost Train. Will is an exceptional dog, probably the best in 40 plus years of setter breeding. He ranges with the cover, has great stamina and exceptional game drive. He is intelligent and would probably done well in cover dog trials if campaigned. He pointed and held a covey of quail his first day afield. I think he is 7 yrs old now.

11. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and PM's. I dropped Kat off with Long Gone Buckwheat today ... She won't be ready to stand for a day or two, but hopefully we'll have a love connection soon.

12. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    grouseguy,
    Just curious why you don't like llewellin breeding. Some of the best mountain grouse dogs I hunted behind were heavy in llewellin breeding. They would hunt all day, day after day. I don't have any llewellin bred dogs now but would not turn away a well bred dog if it had llewelling breeding. Don't want to hijack this thread but season is over anyway.

13. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I suppose personal preference mostly, which is undoubtedly formed from my own experiences. Also, keep in mind, my 2nd choice was Steve Narramore's Blue dog that's 62.5% Lewellyn, which I thought was exactly as you described ... an all day very good mountain grouse dog, that I may very well breed to in the future. He's young and will hopefully be around for awhile.

I'm a big personal fan of dogs with a big motor and style. I've just not found those traits in most Lewellyn's I've encountered ... While admittedly most of those were client dogs, who were well bred, but poorly trained / handled.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone .... I'm just relating my own experiences and preferences.

14. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    This does not offend me at all. I think you are correct on your comment about style. Most were low head and with straight out tail. As far as the motor, I agree to a point. I guess the best way I can compare it, is a gas engine to a diesel engine. The Llewellin Setter being the diesel. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

15. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I like your analogy of the gas vs. diesel. Nothing particularly wrong with either ... people just have different likes, wants, needs.

Anyway, after a weekend of bird dog watching and research. Kat is with Long Gone Boston in Waverly, OH just waiting on her to stand ... she's on day 9 or 10 of her heat, so it should be within the next day or two.

Here's the bio, info and pedigree on Long Gone Boston:

http://www.longgonesetters.com/long_gone_boston.html