15-16 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 9, 2015.

1. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I have put a lot of miles on my vehicle and my boots the last 4 hunts. My total for the 4 hunts are 16 grouse moved with 2 killed. Here is a picture of the last one killed. The first picture is of the point.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    That is some good cover for shooting.

3. djs

djs Fawn

Jan 30, 2010
    Great stuff! What kind of double are you using? Looks a little like an old Sterlingworth, except for the fore end.

4. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    The gun is a 28ga Ithaca Flues. I just love the little gun. It was made next to the last year of production of the Flues. My gun if factory chamber 2 3/4", factory choked cylinder and modified. It is perfect for what I hunt. The only thing it is in need of is a grip cap. I have had a hard time finding an original. I may just bite the bullet and get a replica. Here is a little closer picture of the gun with a quail I killed with it last year.
    [​IMG]

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    That cover stretched me out a little, even using the modified barrel. Bird had walked up the hill and flushed 25 yards or so ahead of the dog. That piece of cover is doing what most of my covers are doing, and that is getting to open/old.

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    If the cap is somewhat round I could turn you a piece close to fit on my lathe that I build pool cues on.

7. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks for the offer. It is more oblong than round. I have a grip cap from another old gun that will work with a little sanding but I was wanting one with the original scroll work on it. Thanks again!

8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Out after them today. Had 10 flushes, and as is typical for us we cut nary a feather. We can find them with no trouble, but are horrible at actually bringing one home. However, after last year it's really good to see birds back in decent numbers

9. Gen.Stonewall

Gen.Stonewall 6 pointer

May 1, 2009
    Bell Co.
    I moved 1 bird Saturday morning. Hunted some really good looking stuff that should hold multiple birds but only found the 1. I didn't even try to shoot. Just enjoy watching the dogs hunt. Got about 3 miles in.

10. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Beat the tangles on two different stands of young growth (10 year old). Looked good but no birds, squirrels or deer just some turkey scratch. 6.2 miles later and didn't see or hear anything. I'm pretty sure it was my last time out for the season, without a dog it's all but useless except for keeping my heart and legs moving....

11. Mountain_Moose

Mountain_Moose Fawn

Dec 15, 2015
    Anybody doing any good in EKY this year?

12. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Id say almost every report is from the eastern side, not too many grouse on the western side ;)

13. Mountain_Moose

Mountain_Moose Fawn

Dec 15, 2015
    I suppose I should've said DEEP eky lol. Pike, Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Perry, Letcher.

14. upland hunter

upland hunter Spike

Aug 6, 2015
    Hey fellow grousers, this is my first time on this
    forum and threads like this one is why i set up a
    profile, i hunt several critters, but, grouse is what
    I'm most interested and concerned about.
    I enjoy hearing about the hunts and also how many
    grouse,hunter's are finding in Ky.I also find it interesting
    that this thread had almost 5000 views I'm gladly surprised
    to see that much interest in grouse hunting still considering
    the decline of grouse numbers in the Appalachians in recent years.

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    As you see Upland, lotsa readin', not much postin. I've seen 4 birds this year, 2 points, no shots fired. Not much to report.