15-16 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Nov 9, 2015.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'll get it started.

Saturday was 60F, too hot, but got good dogwork and got to see two birds fly wild in front of the dogs. Got points in the treelap a few minutes after the birds left, so the dogs did their job.

Dogs were hunting water more than birds after 4 hours so I boxed them up and took them home. Gave them a pass Sunday, waiting for better temps later this week.

2. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Had about a hour and half to kill this evening. Went to a place I left 4 or 5 grouse in last year. I killed 3 out of this hollow last year, with 2 being roosters and 1 hen. Just took the pup hoping to see 1 or 2 I left in there. It was not to be. Got back from Wisconsin last Sunday and back to Ky grouse reality today.

3. zslinker

zslinker Spike

Mar 13, 2008
    morehead, ky
    Hunted a quick cover this afternoon which produced 2 woodcock and 1 grouse. Went home with one doodle in the bag.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Had a good friend call me yesterday and tell me he jumped 5 to 6 in a tree top a couple weeks ago and wants to hunt there. Said there is another farm near by that one of his friends jumped 2 or 3 during muzzle loader season. I should get to hunt those spots in a couple weeks, I'll let you all know how they turn out.

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunted the first spot looking for quail and woodcock. Blanked! Went to another spot looking for grouse. Moved one grouse that I had a good point on. Grouse escaped without me touching a feather. Hunted for about 2 hours. Hope to get out Friday.

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Finally got out today, hunted 2 spots and jumped 6 grouse and 1 woodcock. Didn't buy the habitat/migratory stamp so I couldn't shoot at the woodcock. First 3 grouse came out of one tree top a little out of shooting range. Went to another spot and got a single up, then later a double. The single and double were pointed. Couldn't seem to get a shot today, maybe next time. I walked 11.2 miles according to the gps.

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    That's putting the miles on.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I've made a couple of short 2 hour trips but the dogs were overheated so cut them short. Got them in some water and they perked back up but the woods are dry and the dogs are hunting water more than birds. Going out Sat before the rain hits, then 3-4 days of rain so the waterholes will be filled up and things might cool off.

9. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    You know I was really surprised with my dog, it was 65 degrees out and she hunted all day. I had to stop a few times but she never quite. She will be 11 years old the day after Christmas. I really wish I could get out today and tomorrow and hunt but I'm on baby duty for a couple days so the birds should be safe. I was just so excited to see some birds here after a good trip up north.

10. zslinker

zslinker Spike

Mar 13, 2008
    morehead, ky
    Made it out again today for about 1.5 hours. Moved 2 grouse for 3 flushes and 1 woodcock, only point was on the woodcock and I wiffed.

11. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I haven't hunted my spots in Morehead in about 5 years now, can't wait to get back there and see how the birds have fared. Used to hunt a lot there when I was in college.

12. zslinker

zslinker Spike

Mar 13, 2008
    morehead, ky
    I've moved away from morehead as well, itching to hunt my rowan county spots as well. I've been exploring new territory and so far it's been paying off.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Does anyone grouse hunt in southeastern Kentucky? I haven't jumped a grouse in years so I was wondering if it's just my area.

15. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Got out today and hunted a new spot, old spot was no longer that. Long story short, nice point and miss. Big red grouse, I just couldn't connect. The spot had a lot of cover that I didn't get to hunt, I only walked the road for about 1.5 miles. I didn't get to hunt much, had to be home by 1.