12/07

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by DHull, Dec 8, 2020.

1. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    KY
    Took a new hunter/ co worker with me last night, first night out with my new foxpro. 45 seconds in and we have a triple, I screwed up by turning the red light off to move the gun. Dogs boogered so I switched to coy pups distress, they came back in but spooked as soon as the red light hit them. Spotted them again about 300 yards out, I whiffed a shot. Hit 4 more stands with no luck, friend had to go home. First stand on my own, I call in 4 that did everything you could ask for, pull up for a 50 yard shot, guess my jaw was to the floor cause my scope was fogged in from my breathing. A quick wipe with my glove and a mouth howl got one to stop while leaving at 250ish. Made a good shot and dropped a big female. The very next stand about a mile down the road I called in a double who spooked on the red light and left as fast as they came in. Made 2 more dry stands and my last stand before my driveway produced a single, again spooked on the light, a missed prayer of a shot on that dog. Not sure what to do different with the lighting, but they responded really well last night into this morning.

IMG_20201208_005948_355_compress60.jpg

tcassell5, Timholt70, Feedman and 4 others like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    If I was Your Age I would have a Thermal Scope on the way in the time it took me to Type this.
    I tried Red/Green Lights and got the same results you did.
    You are doing an awesome job, but just Think how much better it could be. Jest sayin....

barney, riverboss and CRFmxracer like this.
  5. EastKy0076

EastKy0076 Spike

Feb 13, 2020
    East ky
    Congrats. I bought a pulsar thermion and couldn't be more amazed with it. Have spotted yotes several hundred yards away, that I don't think a red light would pick up. Nonetheless I will have handheld scanner for next season. For, now I have been folding the stock and scanning with the rifle.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    No
    Totally agree I was going to cheap route but after talking to you and knowing deep inside I wouldn't be happy I bit the bullet!
    Only thing I would do different was spend $200.00 more and went the next step up on my scanner, mine works great but a bigger lens up front would of made it alot easier to use.
    A side note the hand scanner is awesome for scouting for deer it's better than spotlighting ever was.
    Congratulations on a hard earned coyote.

7. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Can you drop a link to the scope and scanner you bought

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I'm not that computer savvy! But look up Thermal optics plus they are in Nashville Tennessee Cameron Gaunder he will hook you up.
    Just go to the website, he's hard to get ahold of just leave a voicemail.
    On me if you have any questions.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Another one Keep up the good work