10/19 thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Shelby21, Oct 19, 2019.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Our place today would be a prime example of the dreaded October lull.

My BIL hunted this morning and I hunted the afternoon..... we both were literally hunting opposite sides of the farm and both were skunked. Saw squirrels...both heard turkeys but seen zero deer today. I'll also add i did come across a few fresh rubs, which i figured I’d see a few dinner plate scrapes around our food plot edges but didn’t stumble across any.

Which i pulled cards on a couple cameras and had a butt load of deer including some daylight pics of bucks. So...the deer are there....lol....just not where we were today.

Figure in two weeks or less....things are going to get right.

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Good day. LONG day. My cousin took a buck this morning, his first with a musket. Got it processed, in the cooler, and we were back in woods. I saw several and finally shot a big doe right at dark, but she had other plans! Took off like a rocket and jumped over a cliff...

Long story short we had to skin and quarter her where she laid and pack it out straight up a damn cliff and another mile back to the truck. I felt like Steve freakin' Rinella, but bet I wont be able to move tomorrow lol

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    LOL! Congrats! Made some good memories there.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    While I didn't Hunt Saturday and not intending to on Sunday; I saw a total of 18 Deer with one a Spike Saturday evening. All were out in my backfield and I could have taken any of them. Reason I didn't was the fact that if I did shoot a good sized Deer, I would have had to: field dress it, drag it back to my Garage, wash it out, hang it up in my garage, Skin it, then cut it up and place in two Ice Chests, which would take me all afternoon and would have wore me out. Also, having some arthritis in my right hand doesn't help. Now, many of you are young enough and could have done this, and I've could have too, many years past, but now being nearly 70 years old it is a real chore. If it were colder and I only had to hang it and skin it, this would have been fine. I would have a fan blowing air around it in outdoor temps of < 40* instead of 70* as we had Saturday. OR better if we had a processor in my area of Taylor County, I would have hunted this 2-day M/L season, and taken it in for processing, but we don't have access to one here, (Strange) and the closest one is some 50 miles one way from my Home. Just hope our modern firearm season is a lot colder or if I can find a Game processor nearby if this warm weather pattern continues or returns.

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    When i started hunting my BIL shot one that went into a deep hollar on DBNF public land. We went tree to tree dragging it up the side of a mountain and took forever to get out. Decided to get ice and took a wrong turn on the way out and dang near drove past his gut pile on a little logging road we did not know was there. Luckily i was young and wirey at the Time that but would kill me now.

Ataulbe1, jblack1 and davers like this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Shew. Not as big as I thought but tickled with him. Nice 3.5 year old. Good shot, 300 yard tracking job. Muzzleloader for sale if anyone is interested lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    elkaholic, Nock, rlb165 and 8 others like this.
  7. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Still a nice buck, glad you found him! I was worried for you, it rained here last night, thought might have washed your blood trail away. Good job finding him!

Meatstick likes this.
  8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Was he not spoiled? It was a bit warm last night.

9. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    He apparently wasn't by the time the coyotes got to him

10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear that, about the Coyotes got to him. Once, on a Colorado Deer Hunt, A black Bear got my Buck, and I had my Buck tagged!!

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Much cooler story than mine haha

davers likes this.
  12. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    No. It’s Joey

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Great buck!

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Me neither.

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Never a problem with delay, or accuracy. Encore Pro Hunter. Muzzleloaders just suck at killing deer, in MY experience. I've tried several different bullets over 20 years. They all suck. Went thru a spell where I just head shot every deer with a smokepole. Wish I'd went ahead and head shot this one, looking back at it